R&DE Stanford Dining is committed to providing inclusive dining programs that support the needs of Muslim students at Stanford. In addition to our halal dining program, which offers halal meal options made with certified halal chicken and beef in all dining halls year round, Stanford Dining offers accommodations so that students may continue to utilize their meal plan during Ramadan.
Please SIGN-UP HERE to participate in Stanford Dining’s Ramadan programs.
April 2 - May 2, 2022
Suhoor and Iftar meals will be available at Arrillaga Family Dining Commons and Lakeside Dining from sunset - 9:00 p.m. daily during Ramadan.
Beginning the evening of April 1, 2022 we will offer a build-your-own Suhoor station including a rotating assortment of grab-n-go sandwiches, breakfast items, breads and pastries, fruit, snack bars, yogurts, hard-boiled eggs, trail mix, and other healthy snacks to assemble a nutritious pre-dawn meal.
Halal meals including a rotating variety of globally-inspired entrees and sides are available to students in all dining halls during normal operating hours. Iftar specials representing Muslim cultures across the world, and inspired by input from students and staff, will be offered at AFDC and Lakeside Dining on Tuesdays from sunset - 9:00 p.m. Seating areas in these dining halls will be designated for students wanting to break fast as a community.
Stanford Dining will offer a special Eid dinner at AFDC and Lakeside Dining on Monday, May 2, 2022.
For questions related to R&DE Stanford Dining’s Ramadan programs, please review the FAQ’s below or email email@example.com.
R&DE Stanford Dining Ramadan FAQ
What accommodations does R&DE Stanford Dining provide to students observing Ramadan?
R&DE Stanford Dining offers the following accommodations so that students may continue to utilize their meal plan during Ramadan:
- Build-your-own Suhoor boxes are available daily at:
- Arrillaga Family Dining Commons (AFDC) during dinner hours (sunset - 9:00 p.m.)
- Lakeside Dining Commons during dinner and Late Night hours (sunset - 9:00 p.m.)
- An enhanced Iftar menu will be served on Tuesdays at AFDC and Lakeside Dining beginning at sunset through the end of the dinner meal period.
- Chicken and beef served in the dining hall is halal year-round unless otherwise indicated.
- R&DE Stanford Dining does not use alcohol in our cooking year-round.
- Fresh plate program: If there are concerns of cross contact with haram foods, you are welcome to request a fresh plate and a manager will plate your food separately from food items on the serving line.
How do I access these accommodations?
These accommodations are available to all undergraduate and graduate students on an R&DE Stanford Dining meal plan.
- To opt-in to Stanford Dining Ramadan programs, please sign up ahead of time using our online form.
What Late Night options are available that accept Meal Plan Dollars?
The following Late Night dining options accept Meal Plan Dollars:
- Late Night Kitchen @Lakeside
- Sunday - Thursday | 9:30 p.m. - 2:30 a.m.
- The Axe & Palm
- Monday - Friday | 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 a.m.
- The Pub at EVGR
- Monday - Wednesday | 11:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
- Thursday - Friday | 11:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.
- Saturday | 4:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
- Sunday | 4:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
How can I receive Suhoor and Iftar meals if I am isolating due to COVID-19?
If you are receiving meal deliveries while in isolation for COVID-19, you can arrange delivery of Suhoor and Iftar meals by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also copy email@example.com on your email.
Can I change my Dining Hall meal plan during Ramadan?
The current meal plans available to undergraduate students are the 19, 15 plus meal dollars or 12 plus meal dollars - these are the only meal plans available. Meal Plan changes can be made at any time prior to the last 2 weeks of the quarter. Freshman can request a temporary transfer to a 12 meal plan during Ramadan by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. All other changes can be made using self-service via your Axess account, or you can reach out to email@example.com if you require assistance.
I live on the Row, in a Co-Op, or Suites, can I eat in the dining halls during Ramadan?
Students living in a Row house, Co-Op or Suites should first reach out to their kitchen manager or chef to discuss accommodations that can be made for them on their current meal plan. If a student feels their needs during Ramadan cannot be sufficiently met in their residence, they should reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for further support.
Can I apply for a meal plan exemption?
Students on an undergraduate R&DE Stanford Dining meal plan should take advantage of the accommodations offered to them to utilize their meal plan during Ramadan. Meal plan exemptions for religious reasons are considered on a case-by-case basis and are managed through the Stanford Office for Religious Life. Phone: (650) 723-1762 Email: email@example.com
What should I know before seeking a meal plan exemption during Ramadan?
- Meal plan exemptions are considered on a case-by-case basis for students with a demonstrated religious need that cannot be accommodated on the meal plan.
- When exempted from the meal plan, all meal plan access will end for the duration of the exemption. Meal swipes and meal plan dollars won’t be available during the exemption period.
- For questions about any potential credits on the student bill, please contact Student Financial Services directly at 866-993-7772.
Can I take food to-go from the dining halls for Iftar and Suhoor?
Effective April 11, 2022, Stanford Dining will no longer offer food for take-out in the dining halls so Iftar will be available for dine-in during dinner hours. Bags will be provided for students to build their own Suhoor to take with them for the following morning.