What is the Food Pantry Pop-up?
In partnership with Second Harvest of Silicon Valley, Stanford R&DE hosts monthly pop-up food pantries for undergraduate and graduate students and their affiliates who need additional food support. Each student household is eligible to receive produce, dairy, meat or poultry and non-perishable items at no cost. The initial pop-up events have included seasonally appropriate stone fruits, apples, squash, and greens, plus chicken, cheese, yogurt, milk, eggs, legumes, cereal, and peanut butter among other food items.
R&DE Stanford Dining is reviewing the frequency and location of future pop-up pantries given the constraints placed on events and shelter-in-place directives. The next event is scheduled for Monday, September 14 from 11:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at Dudley Lane behind Building 49 in Escondido Village. The deadline to register is Wednesday, September 9 at 12:00 p.m. Please bring your own grocery bags and transportation (e.g., wagon, stroller, cart, suitcase, car). Check out our FAQs to assist with some commonly asked questions.
We remind students of measures that would prevent the spread of COVID-19: take social distancing seriously and stay 6 feet apart, not participate in events over 10 people, continually wash their hands and get plenty of rest. These habits will help to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 to your fellow students, staff, and residential and dining workers.
Due to current health and safety concerns, the food pantry will operate as follows:
- Deadline to register is Wednesday, September 9 at 12:00 p.m.
- All attendees are required to wear a face covering.
- Food from Second Harvest will be delivered in 4-5 pre-packaged boxes, enough for a family of four.
- There will be no opportunity to customize a box or preview the items provided.
- The food boxes are very large, please be prepared to transport as is. There will not be space at the event to break down boxes.
- Please sign up to arrive during one of the service times listed. Due to social distancing standards, we will not be able to have more than 40 people in the pick up area at one time. Please arrive only during your pick up window.
- All persons must maintain 6 feet social distance from each other and staff.
- Hand wash sinks and hand sanitizer will be on site, all persons must wash their hands or use hand sanitizer prior to receiving food.
- If you are ill or have had a fever within 24 hours of the date of the event, you may not attend the food pantry. Please designate a proxy to pick up food on your behalf. Your proxy must arrive at the time originally selected, and abide by all health and safety rules and social distancing procedures. Please email Kahlil Wells at email@example.com if you need to send a proxy.
- If you need Kosher items, please indicate so in the sign-up form.
We do need volunteers for this Food Pantry! Please sign up online by September 9. We will send out instructions for volunteers Friday, September 11.
Please subscribe to the Stanford Food Pantry list to receive future communications about this program.