After Draw results are announced, students are either assigned or unassigned.
In the Draw, students are assigned to buildings and room types (for example, Branner Single, Kimball Quad, or Pluto Premier). Students must go through their house’s In-House Draw to select their room assignments. The In-House Draws are organized and run by the incoming student staff with coaching from Residential Education professional staff. Please note that some co-ops use consensus meetings to assign rooms and make roommate assignments. The residences that use this method do not hold their meetings until shortly before autumn quarter classes begin. In all cases, no room/roommate assignments are final until after students have moved in to their assigned residences.
In-House Draw Tool
An In-House Draw (IHD) tool is available to provide students with real-time information about the spaces available in each residence. It is designed to make the room assignment process quicker and easier for you. Students needing a proxy to represent them at the IHD can designate a proxy using this tool. Learn about and access the in-house draw tool here.
If a student is not satisfied with their assignment, they are encouraged to participate in the Autumn Second Round Reassignments. Between the time when Draw results are announced in May and the Reassignment Round, which takes place in July, additional vacancies will occur on campus as students cancel their housing assignments. Students who were exempted from the Draw through the pre-assignment process, by being pulled into a sorority or fraternity, or through the Disability Draw process are not eligible for reassignment during the July reassignment round, but can apply for reassignment after the deadline for this reassignment round.
- Students must join the Reassignment Round by early July (se R&DE calendar for the exact date). They can do this by logging onto Axess, selecting Student Housing and Dining from the Student drop-down menu, clicking "View Application Results," and then joining the Waiting List for reassignment. If a student would like to update their choices, they can do so by selecting the “Edit” option after they have joined the Waiting List.
- Students will keep their original assignment if our office cannot reassign them to one of their more preferred choices.
- We highly recommend that students only list residences on their reassignment application that they would prefer over their original assignment. If a student is reassigned, they will not be able to cancel the reassignment and keep their original assignment (their original assignment is allocated simultaneously to another student).
- Students who are planning on joining the Reassignment Round should still participate in their in-house Draw in case they are unable to be reassigned.
- Students being reassigned between the autumn and winter quarters will need to move out at the end of the quarter and move in to their new residence at the start of the following quarter so that both rooms can be cleaned. Usually students store their belongings with friends during this time period.
Students who are assigned to a residence and room type that allows gender-inclusive housing must formally request a gender-inclusive room assignment to live with a specific friend by filing a Gender-Incusive Room Assignment Request Form right after the Draw.
- Log on to Axess.
- Select Housing and Dining from the Student drop-down menu.
- Click “Forms and Petitions” on the main menu.
- Select the request type “Gender-Inclusive Room Assignment Request.”
- Fill out the form to make the request.
- Make sure that your friend also completes the form and lists you as the requested roommate.
The Gender-Inclusive Room Assignment Request Form should be submitted by the Monday after Draw results are announced.
Students who are a member of a group that is split after the Draw and want to be assigned to the same residence as their group need to file a Split Group Petition. Housing Assignments will attempt to reunite all split groups that submit a petition, but our ability to do so depends on what spaces become available over the summer. The priority for reuniting split groups always goes to groups that meet the following conditions:
- The group was not split because members selected different group retention choices.
- All group members listed the same choices in the same order on their housing applications.
- All group members file their Split Group Petition by the deadline.
Canceling a Housing Assignment
See the cancelation section for information about canceling a housing assignment.
When Draw results are announced, some students who applied for autumn quarter housing will not have a housing assignment. This may include some guaranteed students. Over the summer, some assigned students will cancel their housing assignments, thus making room for students who are unassigned. Students who are unassigned must join the Autumn Second Round by the deadline in early July. The easiest way to do this is to log onto Axess, select Student Housing and Dining from the Student drop-down menu, select "View Application Results," and apply for the next round of assignments. Guaranteed students who do not join the Autumn Second Round by this deadline and select "Assign me to any residence" as their final choice will no longer be guaranteed housing for autumn quarter.