Assignments are made in “rounds”, beginning with an exemption round for students with special housing consideration due to a documented medical condition and for students whose spouse, domestic partner, or child is disabled. See Students with Disabilities.
The Continuous Assignments round begins each quarter right after the Waiting List results are announced and ends after the fifth week of the quarter.
Who can participate?
All students who apply for the Continuous Assignments round must be eligible to live in Student Housing.
Students Seeking Housing after a Waiting List Round
- Students who entered a Waiting List round for any quarter but were not assigned need to join the Continuous Assignments round for that quarter in order to maintain their guarantee and/or position for housing. Please note that you must log in to the Housing and Dining section of Axess under the Student menu after the Waiting List and join the Continuous Assignments round in order to be considered. You may also modify your housing choices at that time.
- Students who would like housing for a particular quarter but missed that quarter’s Waiting List deadline as well as students who cancelled or withdrew a previous housing assignment should enter the Continuous Assignments round right away. These students are no longer guaranteed a housing assignment and will be assigned a sequential application number based on when they submit their housing application.
Continuous Assignments Process
- Continuous Assignments take place each quarter after the Waiting List round.
- Unassigned students can join the Continuous Assignments round by filling out a housing application in the Housing and Dining section of Axess under the Student menu and listing all acceptable residence choices in order of preference, as well as a preferred move-in date. Students unassigned in the Waiting List round must go in to Axess and join the Continuous Assignments round. Applications are not automatically carried over to Continuous Assignments. Unlike other assignment rounds, in the continuous assignments round students are asked to indicate which is more important to them with regard to the housing assignment – the move-in date or the order of residence choices.
- Assignments are made on designated days prior to the start of the quarter and on a more regular basis right before the quarter begins and through the 5th week of the quarter. Applications are reviewed in application number order.
- If an assignment is made, students are notified by email and through Axess.
- Students may modify residence choices on their applications through Axess until 11:59 p.m. the night before assignments are made.
- Once an assignment is made, students are subject to cancellation fees if they cancel their assignment prior to move in. If a student moves in and then wishes to cancel an assignment, he/she must file to terminate their occupancy on Axess, and may be held to contract for the remainder of the term. For more information on cancellations, see Cancelling a Housing Assignment.
NOTE: After the first week of the quarter, students taking an assignment through the Continuous Assignments round must wait between 48 hours and five working days after being assigned before moving in. This allows time for the Housing Front Desks to clean the apartment and/or notify current residents that they should expect a new roommate.
When are Continuous Assignments made?
|Term||Start Dates||End Dates|
|Autumn||Select dates in August. Daily Continuous Assignments begin mid September.||Late October|
|Winter||Select dates in December. Daily Continuous Assignments begin early January.||Early February|
|Spring||Select dates in early March. Daily Continuous Assignments begin mid March.||Early May|
|Summer||Early June||Mid July|
Visit the Calendar for specific Autumn, Winter, Spring and Summer Quarter Continuous Assignment dates.
Your Chances for Assignment
Housing Assignments cannot predict which residences will have space available in advance of the Continuous Assignments process. Your chances for assignment during Continuous Assignments depend on:
- The number of spaces that become available.
- The number of students who apply for Continuous Assignments.
- Which residences participants list on their applications.