Governor's Corner

Early or Late Move Outs

Moving Out Early

If you move out earlier than your Residence Agreement specifies, you remain responsible for rent unless you have been released from your rent obligation under the Termination of Agreement section of the Residence Agreement—in writing—by Housing Assignments.

If you move out of University housing for any reason prior to the end of your contract period, you must file an online termination form in Axess. This includes:

  • Undergraduates who move out any time before the end of Spring Quarter
  • Graduate students on an academic-year contract who move out before the end of Spring Quarter
  • Graduate students on a full-year contract who move out before the end of Summer Quarter

You can terminate your assignment on Axess.

  • Go to the Student menu
  • Select Housing and Dining
  • Select Terminate Occupancy and follow the prompts

Students who wish to move out of housing before the end of their contract while they are still enrolled should file a petition under the R&DE Portal in Axess.

If you are just moving to a new residence or changing rooms or apartments within your current residence, you do not need to file a Termination of Occupancy form. See Moving to a new room/apartment.

Termination of Occupancy Deadlines and Fees

Please see the Residence Agreement to view the dates by which to file and the associated fees. Click on Residence Agreement and Dates to Know.

Moving Out Late

If you need to stay past your move-out date, contact your Housing Service Center to discuss the possibility of a late departure. You will be charged additional rent for each day that you remain in your room or apartment.

In some residences, it’s not possible for Student Housing to grant requests for late departure because time is needed to clean and prepare residences for incoming students or guests. If you can’t arrange a late departure, look into alternative housing options in the Community Housing section of our website.

In all graduate residences except the GSB Residences, students with full-year contracts who need to stay past Spring Quarter but who don’t need housing for the entire summer may delay their departure to one of two extended move-out dates in mid-July or early August. These dates will be available on the online termination form in April.