Gender Inclusive Undergraduate Housing

Gender-inclusive housing allows friends of different genders of record to be assigned to the same room in one of the gender-inclusive designated residences at Stanford.

Students interested in this option must:

  1. Apply for the Draw as a group, selecting the gender-inclusive housing locations they are interested in as their top choices. Group retention should be set at least through the gender-inclusive choices. Draw applications are due May 6th, 2019.
  2. If members of the group are assigned to the same residence and room type, they must formally request a gender-inclusive room assignment by filing a Gender-Inclusive Room Assignment Request Form right after the Draw.
    1. Log on to Axess.
    2. Select Student Housing and Dining from the Student drop-down menu
    3. Click Forms and Petitions
    4. Select the request type Gender-Inclusive Room Assignment Request
    5. Submit the form by May 27th, 2019.
  3. Participate in the undergraduate in-house draw to receive a specific room assignment.

If drawmates are assigned into the same house and room type and that house and room type offers gender-inclusive housing, the students are guaranteed (with one exception) the ability to live together as long as both students request a gender-inclusive assignment by May 27th (see above).  The exception to this rule is the Outdoor House.  After the Draw but before the In-house draw, the staff at Outdoor House will contact all incoming residents with details on the gender-inclusive program at Outdoor House and how it will be determined which students will be in the gender-inclusive 4-person suites within Outdoor House.

Please note that students are never forced into gender-inclusive assignments. 

Which Undergraduate Residences offer Gender-Inclusive Housing?

Gender-neutral locations map

Residences that offer the gender-inclusive option:

  • BOB (two-room doubles)
  • Branner (two-room doubles)
  • Castaño (two-room doubles)
  • Crothers (one-room doubles)
  • EAST (one- and two-room doubles)
  • Enchanted Broccoli Forest (EBF) (two- room doubles)
  • Escondido Village two-bedroom apartments (winter and spring quarter only)
  • FroSoCo (two-room doubles)
  • Jerry (two-room doubles)
  • Kairos (one-room doubles)
  • Ng House, Humanities Theme Residence (two-room doubles)
  • Meier Hall (two-room doubles)
  • Mirrielees (two-bedroom apartments, including the Substance Free section)
  • Norcliffe Hall (two-room doubles)
  • Narnia (two-room doubles)
  • Outdoor House (4-person suites only)
  • Terra (two-room doubles)
  • Trancos (one-room doubles)
  • Xanadu (two-room doubles)
  • Yost (one- and two- room doubles)
  • ZAP (two-room doubles)

Who can take advantage of this program?

This program is intended for students who wish to share a room or apartment with friends of a different gender of record. It is not intended for romantic couples, who are encouraged to apply for Couples Housing.

No Random Roommates

Students will not be matched with a random roommate of another gender through this process.  This is why it is very important to file a Gender-Inclusive Room Assignment request in Axess after receiving your Draw assignment.

What happens if one of the roommates cancels their assignment or leaves mid-year? 

If one student cancels or leaves during the year, the remaining student can request another roommate from students who have been assigned to the same housing location, or the entire space will revert to single gender. 

Gender-Inclusive Bathroom Locations

Gender-inclusive bathrooms can be found in many residence halls. See the Gender-inclusive bathroom page for more information. 

Confidential Process for Transgender or Non-Binary Students

Transgender and non-binary students who need special accommodation due to gender identity/expression can apply through the regular housing Draw and take advantage of Gender-Inclusive Housing with a friend or contact Housing Assignments for individualized assignment assistance:

  1. The request will be handled through a confidential process and staff will not ask for more information than is required to meet the student's housing needs.
  2. Placement priority will be given to students who notify Housing Assignments well in advance of the assignment round for which they are applying and who require accommodations based on their gender identity/expression.
  3. Later requests will be handled as appropriate spaces become available.
  4. Students placed through this process can arrange to go through the in-house draw according to the gender with which they identify (our system is currently binary, so we acknowledge that this does not help every student.)

Housing Assignments recognizes that students are not all alike and have different needs and desires. We will address concerns on a case-by-case basis.

Roommate Conflicts

If a student has a conflict with a roommate due to their gender identity/expression, the student should see their Residence Dean (RD). Residence Deans are full-time, professional staff members who have taken part in training specifically on gender identity/expression issues. Other resources available include the LGBT Community Resources Center.

Co-Op Housing Assignments

Co-Ops are self-governing houses and many determine their own independent room assignment process. Because these room assignments are made under the governance of the house, these houses often have some gender-inclusive living arrangements that may or may not adhere to Stanford's gender-inclusive housing policies. The University does not forbid mixed gender assignments in co-ops, but no student should be assigned to a mixed gender room against his or her wishes. For more information on co-ops or on consensus room assignments, contact the House Managers or RA's of the individual co-ops.