Gender-inclusive housing allows friends of different genders of record to be assigned to the same room or apartment in one of the gender-inclusive designated residences at Stanford. For autumn 2020 most students will be in private rooms, and not many 2-room double spaces will be available.
Students interested in this option must:
- Apply for the Autumn Housing Allocation as a group, selecting the 2-room double and 2-bedroom apartment options as their top choices.
- If members of the group are assigned to the same residence and room type, they must formally request a gender-inclusive room assignment by filing a Gender-Inclusive Room Assignment Request Form right after the Autumn Housing Allocation results are announced.
- Log on to Axess.
- Select Student Housing and Dining from the Student drop-down menu
- Click Forms and Petitions
- Select the request type Gender-Inclusive Room Assignment Request
- Submit the form by August 28, 2020.
If group members are assigned into 2-room doubles or 2-bedroom apartments in the same residence, the students are guaranteed the ability to live together as long as both students request a gender-inclusive assignment and list each other as roommated by the August 28 deadline.
Please note that students are never forced into gender-inclusive assignments.
Residences that offer the gender-inclusive option:
- Gerhard Casper Quad two-room doubles
- Governor's Corner two-room doubles
- Escondido Village Graduate Residences two-bedroom apartments
- Mirrielees two-bedroom apartments
Who can take advantage of this program?
This program is intended for students who wish to share room or apartment with friends of a different gender of record. It is not intended for romantic couples, who are encouraged to apply for Couples Housing.
No Random Roommates
Students will not be matched with a random roommate of another gender through this process. This is why it is very important to file a Gender-Inclusive Room Assignment request in Axess after receiving your Autumn Housing Allocation assignment.
What happens if one of the roommates cancels their assignment or leaves mid-quarter?
If one student cancels or leaves during the quarter, the remaining student can request another roommate from students who have been assigned to the same housing location, or the entire space will revert to single occupancy room.
Gender-Inclusive Bathroom Locations
Gender-inclusive bathrooms can be found in many residence halls. See the Gender-inclusive bathroom page for more information.
Confidential Process for Transgender or Non-Binary Students
Transgender and non-binary students who need special accommodation due to gender identity/expression can apply through the regular Autumn Housing Allocation and take advantage of Gender-Inclusive Housing with a friend or contact Housing Assignments for individualized assignment assistance:
- The request will be handled through a confidential process and staff will not ask for more information than is required to meet the student's housing needs.
- Placement priority will be given to students who notify Housing Assignments well in advance of the assignment round for which they are applying and who require accommodations based on their gender identity/expression.
- Later requests will be handled as appropriate spaces become available.
Housing Assignments recognizes that students are not all alike and have different needs and desires. We will address concerns on a case-by-case basis.
If a student has a conflict with a roommate due to their gender identity/expression, the student should see their Residence Dean (RD). Residence Deans are full-time, professional staff members who have taken part in training specifically on gender identity/expression issues. Other resources available include the LGBT Community Resources Center.