Graduate Housing Move-in Date Options
The general opening days of graduate residences for each quarter are listed on the housing calendar and in the Residence Agreement. There are multiple move-in dates available to single graduate students, couples without children and students with children for the autumn. When you submit your autumn housing application you will be able to select to move in any Friday from late August to mid-September. Your housing charges will be adjusted to reflect the Friday you select. Additional dates may be available on the applications of students whose academic programs require a special arrival date. Your housing charges are prorated to start on your selected move-in date, even if you arrive late. All students are charged based on their move-in date even if their academic departments require an early arrival.
- For autumn quarter, if you would like to change your move-in date to be different from the date you selected on your application, please submit a move-in date change request form at least 2 weeks prior to your desired move-in date. While we cannot guarantee that we will be able to accommodate all requests, we will do our best to accommodate your request. Please note:
- If you are requesting to move in on a date later than your currently assigned date, that request will automatically be approved.
- If you are requesting to move in on a date earlier than your currently assigned date, those requests will be reviewed on a case by case basis. You should wait to make travel plans until your request is resolved.
- Your housing charges will be adjusted to reflect your new approved move-in date.
- September 15th is the latest move-in date you may select for autumn. If you select a September 15th start date and elect to move in later, your billing will begin on September 15th.
- If you would like to move in between late June and mid-July, you should submit a summer application in addition to your autumn application.
- If you would like to move in between mid-July and late August, please contact your local Housing Service Center to request an earlier autumn arrival after you have been assigned.
- If you expect to arrive later than your indicated move-in date you must notify your Housing Service Center in writing of your planned date of arrival or your housing assignment will be canceled and you will be charged a $450 administrative fee.
If you live in Student Housing during summer quarter and are changing residences for the autumn quarter you will move to your autumn assignment between Friday, August 25 - Sunday, August 27, 2023. Your Housing Service Center will be sending you information on how to request an earlier move-in date if desired. Your summer contract will be extended automatically to meet the start of this autumn assignment even if you are changing residences. Your housing charges will be prorated based on the date you move so you will likely see multiple housing charges on your university bill. If you are not changing residences (or type of apartment) between summer and autumn your Housing Service Center will make every effort to keep you in the same room/apartment for both contract periods.
General move-in dates for winter quarter begin in December or January and for spring quarter in late March. If you are applying for a change in residences winter or spring quarter, you will move over the winter or spring break. Your original assignment may be simultaneously assigned to another student for the start of the quarter so your Housing Service Center may not have much flexibility in scheduling your move. If you have academic or travel conflicts, contact your Housing Service Center as soon as you are assigned.