Reassignments within the Same Category of Housing
Residents of single graduate, couple without children or student with children housing may apply for a reassignment to a preferred choice in the same category of housing (i.e. within Single Graduate Housing). Reassignment opportunities vary each term and may not be available if we cannot first accommodate students without housing. Reassignments are not available for the Summer Quarter.
Automated Autumn Reassignment Round
If you've received an assignment in the Autumn Lottery but would prefer to live in another residence, you can try for reassignment to another location within the same housing category by joining the second round of autumn assignments in July.
- You may not join the second round for reassignment if you have cancelled your Lottery assignment.
- You will only be considered for reassignment to the residences you list on your reassignment request.
- If you are not reassigned, you will retain your original Lottery assignment.
- If you are reassigned, your original assignment is simultaneously reassigned to another student.
- If you secure an especially early move-in date, your reassignment residence may not be able to honor that same, earlier move-in date.
- If you cancel your reassignment, you will be charged a cancellation fee, and will lose your application position.
- If, as a new graduate student, you cancel your assignment, you will lose your guarantee of housing for the year.
- There is no fee for reassignment in the automated July Waiting List.
To request reassignment in the automated reassignment round in Axess for autumn, you must:
- Join the second round for reassignment by the July Waiting List deadline.
- Select the "Accept this assignment but wish to be considered for reassignment" option.
- List the residences for which you want to be considered.
Additional Reassignment Opportunity
There is an additional reassignment process that takes place on a rolling basis throughout the rest of the year once demand from unassigned students has been met.
You may request reassignment to any other vacant apartment. Reassignments are made on a space-available basis, and are not guaranteed. Students who renew their contracts can participate in this type of reassignment.
Most reassignments are not made until the Winter and Spring Quarters due to the high demand from students without housing during Autumn Quarter.
- Late applicants without housing will be assigned to residences before students seeking reassignment.
- Students living in the autumn-only assignments will have priority for winter reassignments.
- Your position on the reassignment list will depend on the date you submit the reassignment request.
- You will only be considered for reassignment to the residences you specifically list.
- If you accept the reassignment, your rent will be adjusted according to the date the new room or apartment is available.
- There is a $300 reassignment fee if you accept the reassignment.
- There is no fee to move from subsidized off-campus housing to on-campus housing.
To request a reassignment after the second round of the Lottery, you must:
- File a reassignment request on Axess to add your name to the list.
- Select the Apply for Reassignment option on the Housing and Dining Portal under the Student tab.
- Please withdraw your reassignment request if you no longer desire a reassignment.
- You may update your preferences at anytime without affecting your position on the list.
Reassignments to a different category of housing due to a change in your family or marital status are managed differently.