Graduate Housing Reassignment Request

Reassignments within the Same Category of Housing

Residents of single graduate, couple without children or student with children housing may apply for a reassignment to a preferred choice in the same category of housing (i.e. within Single Graduate Housing). Reassignment opportunities vary each term and may not be available if we cannot first accommodate students without housing.  Reassignments are not available for the summer quarter.

If you've received an assignment in the First-round Autumn Lottery but would prefer to live in another residence, you can apply for reassignment to another location within the same housing category by applying for reassignment on Axess.

There reassignment process takes place on a rolling basis throughout the rest of the year once demand from unassigned students has been met each quarter.

You may request reassignment to any other vacant apartment. Reassignments are made on a space-available basis, and are not guaranteed. Students who renew their contracts can participate in this type of reassignment.

Most reassignments are not made until the winter and spring quarters due to the high demand from students without housing during autumn quarter.

  • Late applicants without housing will be assigned to residences before students seeking reassignment.
  • Students living in the autumn-only assignments will have priority for winter reassignments.
  • Your position on the reassignment list will depend on the date you submit the reassignment request.
  • You will only be considered for reassignment to the residences you specifically list.
  • If you accept the reassignment, your rent will be adjusted according to the date the new room or apartment is available.
  • There is a $300 reassignment fee if you accept the reassignment.
  • There is no fee to move from subsidized off-campus housing to on-campus housing.

To request a reassignment after the second round of the Lottery, you must:

  • File a reassignment request on Axess to add your name to the list.
  • Select the Apply for Reassignment option on the Housing and Dining Portal under the Student tab.
  • Please withdraw your reassignment request if you no longer desire a reassignment.
  • You may update your preferences at anytime without affecting your position on the list.

Reassignments to a different category of housing due to a change in your family or marital status are managed differently.