Community Housing: Legal Information And Mediation
- The California Landlord's Law Book: Rights and Responsibilities by Attorneys David Brown and Ralph Warner, Nolo Press.
- The California Landlord's Law Book: Evictions by Attorney David Brown, Nolo Press.
- California Tenant's Rights by Attorney Janet Portman and Attorney David Brown, Nolo Press
- Landlording by Leigh Robinson.
Legal Information and Mediation
These agencies provide general information about landlord/tenant law, mediation, and referrals. There is also a 24-hour crisis line for emergencies. (408) 279-8228.
- Menlo Park: City of Menlo Park Mediation, 858-3360.
- Palo Alto and Stanford: Palo Alto Mediation Program, 856-4062.
- Mountain View: Mountain View Mediation, 960-0495.
- Redwood City (San Mateo County): Peninsula Conflict Resolution Center, 571-0367.
- Sunnyvale, Cupertino and Santa Clara: Project Sentinel, (408) 720-9888.
Small Claims Court
- Santa Clara County Small Claims Court, (408) 882-2100 (option #2 then #6).
- San Mateo County Small Claims Court, (650) 261-5015.
Links to Related Sites
- California Civil Code. Text of the California Civil Code, sections 1940-1954.1. Habitability and repairs are covered under sections 1941 and 1942; lease terms and notices of termination are covered in sections 1944-1946; security deposits are covered in section 1950.5; abandonment is covered under section 1951.3; a landlord's right to enter the property is section 1954.
- Fair Housing: It's Your Right. Information about the Fair Housing Act.
- Nolo Press. Self help law books and software, including three excellent books on landlord-tenant law.