Medical Accommodations

undergraduate studentssingle graduate studentsstudents with childrencouples without children

Disability/Medical Accommodation Request

If you have special housing needs due to a disability or documented medical condition, or if your spouse, partner, or child has a disability, you can apply for early assignment before each assignment round.

You should register with the Office of Accessible Education (OAE) and file a Housing Accommodation Request Form if your disability or medical condition requires:

  • A particular housing assignment that the regular assignment process cannot ensure
  • A special room type or location (i.e. a room accessible by ramps or elevator, or a room on the first floor)
  • Special accommodations such as horns and strobes, door openers, hard surface flooring, or being near a wheelchair accessible bathroom

Submitting a Housing Accommodation Request Form does not automatically guarantee you a space in university housing. Unless you have a permanent disability or medical condition, you must submit a request and documentation annually, as housing policies and medical conditions may change from year to year.

To request medical accommodation(s) for housing and/or dining for Summer 2020 and/or the 2020-21 academic year, register with the OAE by March 30, 2020 and file the Housing Accommodation Request Form by (to be determined) at Your housing application(s) are also due by (to be determined, as Lottery and Drwa applications are not yet being accepted) if you are requesting a housing accommodation.

If you need to request medical accommodations for spring quarter 2019-20, please submit submit a request as soon as possible.

To be considered for a disability/medical exemption, be sure to:

  1. Register with the OAE and submit medical documentation as early as possible, but definitely before the beginning of April
  2. After registering and meeting with your Disability Advisor, file an online Disability/Medical Accommodation Request Form with the Office of Accessible Education by the early spring application deadline. Please note that Disability Accommodation Request Forms are due to the OAE before the annual Draw and Lottery deadlines. See the calendar for due dates.
  3. Specify in your housing application that you are willing to live in any residence or room that meets your medical needs.
Office of Accessible Education
56Salvatierra Walk
Stanford, CA 94305


(650) 723-1066
(650) 723-1067
(650) 725-5301

In some cases, you may need to participate in the regular housing assignment process. However, you will be given a priority that will ensure your assignment to a particular type of housing space that meets your documented medical needs.

If you submit an application with a Disability/Medical Accommodation request and are subsequently assigned housing based on that application, you relinquish your right to participate in other assignment rounds, including the July waiting list reassignment round.

If you do not register with the OAE and turn in your request form by the early spring deadline, please file your Disability/Medical Accommodation Request Form and your housing application as soon as possible. Your position on the list is determined by the date your disability request is approved. We will make disability/medical assignments in the subsequent rounds as appropriate spaces become available.

Documenting a disability

Before being given access to the online Housing Accommodation Request Form, you will need to register with the Office of Accessible Education and provide documentation of your disability or medical condition as requested by the Office of Accessible Education if you have not done so already.

Who provides the documentation?

A professional who specializes in the area of your disability/medical condition must provide documentation. For example, an allergist must document an allergy; a psychologist, psychiatrist or social worker must verify a psychological disability; an audiologist must verify hearing impairment. Documentation from a family member or family friend is not acceptable.

If you have a question about the choice of professional providing the documentation, contact a staff member at the OAE.

Documentation Contents

The documentation must be written on the professional’s official letterhead, with the professional’s license number. The report must include the following information:

  1. Specific diagnosis and description of the disability, including an indication of the duration of the disability
  2. Names of any tests that were given to determine the disability
  3. Description of any treatment that the student is undergoing or has undergone related to the disability
  4. Description of the probable impact of the disability in a university setting. It is not necessary to make recommendations about a specific accommodation

How disability/medical requests are evaluated

R&DE Student Housing Assignments staff bases Disability/Medical Accommodation assignments on the recommendation of the Office of Accessible Education, the applicant’s residence choices, and his/ her application number. Final accommodation decisions rest with the university.


To protect your privacy and ensure confidentiality, all professional documentation is kept at all times at the OAE. Your OAE Disability Adviser will work with you to determine what information needs to be shared with university staff and faculty in order to assess and/or facilitate academic accommodations or other services.

University employees have an obligation to maintain confidentiality regarding a student’s disability, including a student’s housing assignment based on documented medical needs. To that end, the Office of Accessible Education will provide information to university staff only when necessary in evaluating and/or facilitating accommodations, auxiliary aids, and/or services. Except where provided by applicable law, disability information will not be shared with non-employees without the student’s express written permission.

If you are granted an exempt assignment, Housing Assignments notifies your new residence office only of your assignment and the physical amenities needed in your new room/apartment.

Applying for Pre-assignment

If you are an undergraduate student and wish to apply for pre-assignment, you can go through both processes simultaneously.  If your pre-assignment application is accepted and your medical needs can be accommodated in that residence, we will give you a medical accommodation in the location where you are pre-assigned.  If you cannot be accommodated in that particular residence, we will contact you about obtaining an assignment through the OAE assignment process. You will need to be careful to meet the deadlines for both processes.

Applying to be Staff in a Student Residence

If you are hired as residential staff and need a particular room type or a room with certain features to meet your documented medical needs, you should file a Disability/Medical Accommodation Request Form with the Office of Accessible Education by the early spring application deadline.

Overseas Study & Leave of Absence

If you study abroad or take a leave of absence, you must:

  1. File a Termination of Occupancy form on Axess by the deadline listed in your Residence Agreement.
  2. Inform the Office of Accessible Education and request that they re-activate your accommodation request for the academic term in which you will return.

If your disability accommodation request was approved prior to the Draw in May and you are guaranteed housing, Housing Assignments will almost always be able to meet your documented needs when you return to Stanford if you request that the OAE activate your accommodation request for the quarter that you are returning. You should contact the OAE at least six weeks before the beginning of the term for which you plan to return. There is no guarantee that you will be assigned to the same residence, room, or room type you vacated earlier in the academic year. 

See Going Away Mid–year for more information.  Be sure to submit a new Disability/Medical Accommodation Request Form by the appropriate deadline before you return.

Requests for Reassignment

If you live on campus and have a newly-diagnosed condition or changes to a previously-documented condition, you may request reassignment to another type of room or residence. Reassignments are made on a space-available basis and only for the student whose disability needs change—not for a group. Contact the OAE to make a reassignment request.

By filing a request for reassignment, you are indicating that:

  • It is medically necessary for you to be reassigned.
  • You are willing to live in any residence that meets your disability/medical needs.

If your request is approved and you are reassigned, you may not refuse the reassignment and remain in your previous residence.

Supplemental Residence Notice to the Owners of Approved Assistance Animals

Students who are approved to have assistance animals in student housing agree to comply with the policies listed in the Supplemental Residence Notice: Service Animals and Support Animals in Stanford R&DE Student Housing and to return the completed forms within this document to their Housing Front Desk before bringing the animal into housing. In Undergraduate Housing, students with emotional support animals are currently being assigned to Crothers Hall (in the Crothers building but not the Crothers Memorial building), West Lagunita (the house, not the region) first floor singles, and Mirrielees 2-bedroom apartments. In Graduate Housing, students with emotional support animals are able to apply for Couples without Children Housing, Student with Children Housing or studios and two-bedroom apartments in Single Graduate Housing.