- Familiarize yourself with the Emergency Evacuation Map in your room. Locate the Emergency Assembly point outside your building. Emergency Information
- Establish ground rules with your roommate. Discuss issues like noise level, guests, cleaning, personal and shared property, and how you will resolve any differences that arise. For tips on establishing a good relationship, see Living with a Roommate.
- Fill out the Room Condition or Apartment Inventory Form. If you are an undergraduate, you can fill out the form online; graduate students receive a copy of the form in their check-in packet and should complete and return it to their Housing Front Desk.
- Set up your in-room computer connection. Plug one end of a standard Ethernet cable into your computer and the other into the colored jack in your room, and then open a web browser. You will be guided through an automatic registration process. For assistance, contact your Resident Computer Consultant.
- Review tips and policies on personalizing your room or apartment.
- Buy a parking permit if you own a car. Permits are sold at Parking & Transportation Services (P&TS), 340 Bonair Siding, (650) 723-9362. The office is open Monday-Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. You can also order permits on the P&TS website.
- Register your bike. If you purchase a bike or bring one from home, you must register it with Santa Clara County. This is your only chance of recovering it if it is stolen. See Getting Around.
- Update your address, telephone number, and privacy settings in Axess, under the Personal Info tab.
- Order cable TV. Several monthly cable plans are available. Room phones are equipped with basic service, including free local and domestic long distance calling. OrderIT
- If you did not receive your ID card at check-in, or have lost your card, visit the ID Card Office on the second floor of Tresidder Memorial Union. Tel. (650) 723-7772.
For more information
Undergraduates: Consult your Approaching Stanford handbook or the website.
Graduate students: Check the Graduate Life Office New Graduate Student Orientation website.