Prior to the annual undergraduate House and Room Selection process, undergraduates have the opportunity to apply to change their neighborhood affiliations. Student may apply to change neighborhoods with a group of up to four students from any neighborhood.
For 2022-23, neighborhood change requests were due at 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, March 16, 2022. Students who applied by the deadline will receive word of their reassignment status on Monday, March 28, 2022.
Neighborhood change requests will open for the 2023-24 year in March 2023.
If a student wishes to change neighborhoods because they have a medical need that cannot be met in their current neighborhood, they do not need to file a neighborhood change request form. Instead, they should reach out to the Office of Accessible Education (OAE) and file a Housing Accommodation Request Form (HARF).
The ResX Task Force report provides specific guidance for those students who wish to change neighborhoods. By submitting a neighborhood change request, they agree to the following:
- They may be reassigned to any neighborhood, and will not be able to indicate a preference for specific neighborhoods.
- If they are reassigned, they will select their 2022-23 building and room at the end of their class year. For example, if they are a rising junior, they will not select a building and room for 2022-23 until all other rising juniors have selected. After one year, they will no longer have this restriction and will be on an equal footing with other students from their class.
- If they apply as part of a group, they will be reassigned only if their entire group can be moved to the same neighborhood.
- Groups requesting reassignment will not be reassigned to any of the neighborhoods that group members are currently members of.
- Once their neighborhood is changed, they will not have the ability to cancel or reject the neighborhood reassignment.
- There is no guarantee that they will be able to change neighborhoods. Our ability to reassign students is dependent upon where there is space within the neighborhood system.
Because of these rules, the neighborhood reassignment process is best for students who wish to live in any neighborhood besides the one in which they are currently assigned. Neighborhood changes are effective beginning with the following academic year. If a student changes neighborhoods, they will select a residence and room for the following academic year in their new neighborhood during the House and Room Selection process that spring quarter.