Skip to main content
Stern Hall

Residence Agreement Policies and Procedures

The Residence Agreement goes into effect when you are assigned a space in university housing. The Agreement does not grant rights to or possession of a particular room or residence or type of housing. Assignment to a university residence or reassignment to a different residence (including but not limited to a different house within the same residence complex) or reassignment to a different room type within a residence is made only by R&DE Student Housing Assignments. Students are not allowed to swap rooms or make individual arrangements with other students or student staff members to change rooms.

In Single Student Housing, most rooms require shared occupancy, and by accepting an assignment, you are agreeing to communicate and live cooperatively with your roommate(s), to be respectful of their differences, and to agree on living habits. Students are not released from contract because of roommate conflicts. Students with roommate conflicts are expected to work with their roommates and their Resident Directors, in Undergraduate Housing, or Graduate Life Office Deans, in Graduate Housing, to resolve differences.

Assignment Policies

Undergraduate Residences

The first and second rounds of autumn quarter assignments are made through a self-select process called House and Room Selection.

After these two rounds of autumn quarter assignments, building level assignments are made through an application process and room assignments are made by the R&DE Student Housing Service Center based on vacancies.

Gender-inclusive room assignments are allowed in select rooms throughout undergraduate housing; however, students in long-term relationships should apply for couples housing as gender inclusive housing is not for students and their partners.

Students assigned to theme or co-op houses must meet the eligibility requirements for the house and must participate in activities required by the house program. If they do not meet the eligibility or program requirements, they will be reassigned.

Students are prohibited from seeking or receiving any material gain through the House and Room Selection process. This includes receiving payment in any form for releasing a room selected during the House and Room Selection process. Students who are found to have violated this policy may have their housing privileges revoked and may also be referred to the Office of Community Standards for violating the Fundamental Standard.

Graduate Residences

In graduate residences, specific room assignments are made by R&DE Student Housing Assignments or by the Housing Service Center. Any change in room assignments must be authorized by your Housing Service Center Supervisor.

Gender-inclusive room assignments are allowed in all graduate residences on a space-available basis and are requested by filing a gender-inclusive housing petition in Axess. To participate in the program, students' roommates must be assigned to the same residence and apartment type.


For emergency preparedness, R&DE Student Housing needs to know the room assignment of each student living in Student Housing. Students may not change rooms without the approval of R&DE Housing Assignments or their Housing Service Center.

Requests for Reassignment During the Academic Year

Students can request reassignment to another residence or type of room by filing a reassignment request in Axess. Reassignments are made during the rolling assignments period – after demand from students without housing has been met – and are made in the order in which the requests are received. There is an administrative fee of $300 for reassignments in Graduate Housing. Freshmen are ineligible for reassignment. Because we rarely meet demand from students for autumn quarter, reassignments are usually not made until winter or spring quarters.

Reassignments During the Summer

Students assigned to Stanford Student Housing for summer quarter are not eligible to apply for reassignment.

Requests to Change Rooms within the Same Residence

Requests to change rooms within an assigned residence are approved by the local Housing Service Center as long as the change is within the same room/ apartment type. Students who wish to change buildings or room/apartment types within the same building must file for reassignment in Axess. Housing reassignments within the same residence are subject to an administrative fee of $300 in Graduate Housing.

Special Reassignments

Reassignments made for special circumstances, such as a request from the Office of Accessible Education, a move due to an upcoming construction project, or serious facility-related problems that cannot be rectified quickly, are given highest priority.

Mandatory Reassignment

The university reserves the right to reassign you to another room or residence at any time during the term of this agreement for any reason. Because appropriate housing will be provided, rent rebates are not offered to students who must temporarily or permanently relocate to other housing assignments. In particular, you may be required to move:

  1. If the space to which you have been assigned is required for a student with a disability
  2. To consolidate spaces to allow the gender conversion of a room as required to meet the undergraduate or graduate housing guarantee
  3. To make your room available for renovation or during a maintenance emergency
  4. For conversion to a different residence type or category, or for conference use
  5. To consolidate graduate or undergraduate students into fewer rooms or apartments, graduate and undergraduate students may be assigned together.

Student Staff Reassignments

If student staff are removed from or resign their position they will be reassigned into an available space within their category of housing at the discretion of R&DE Student Housing Assignments. They are not guaranteed a housing assignment that is similar to their assignment as a staff member (e.g., a single room on the Row). Additionally, student staff who ask for a reassignment are not guaranteed to continue as a staff member if a fundamental aspect of their responsibility is to be embedded within the community they support.

Fraternity and Sorority Assignments

All fraternity and sorority obligations described herein pertain to the fraternity and sorority group as a whole and, by extension, to each individual who elects to live in a dedicated fraternity or sorority facility. Fraternity and sorority members recognize and agree that the organization has no entitlement to continued use of the residence assigned to the organization or to an alternative residence or other space. The agreement to assign a fraternity or sorority to a residence may be terminated at any time, at the university’s discretion, upon written notice to the chapter president.

Guaranteed Housing

The university requires and depends on housed fraternities and sororities to fill their dedicated chapter house with members of the organization who are enrolled, undergraduate students who have guaranteed quarters of housing remaining. The organization is required to have their housing selection policy timely submitted and reviewed by Fraternity and Sorority Life and subsequently made public. The policy must clearly outline how spaces in the house are allocated within the membership. Fraternity and sorority members use a guaranteed quarter for each complete or partial quarter they live on campus – whether in a fraternity house, sorority house, or non-Greek residence.


For autumn, winter, and spring quarter, each housed fraternity and sorority must fill 100% of its approved and rated housing spaces as determined by the Housing Equity Committee with members who are eligible for university housing and who have guaranteed housing status. A housed fraternity or sorority cannot increase or decrease occupancy of the house without prior written consent of the R&DE Student Housing Equity Committee. Requests to change the occupancy of a house will only be considered for the following year when requests are made in writing prior to the start of spring quarter.

Under extraordinary circumstances, non-members may be approved to live in the facility by R&DE Student Housing Assignments and Fraternity and Sorority Life. The number of non-members approved may not exceed 5% of the house’s occupancy. If a student lives in a fraternity or sorority house as a non-member, the assignment may be allowed on a quarterly basis.

Collective Financial Responsibility

Members of the fraternity or sorority have collective financial responsibility for certain charges as indicated below:

For autumn, winter, and spring quarters, R&DE Student Housing will charge the fraternity or sorority rent for any spaces that go unfilled by the organization. Failure to fill 100% of the spaces within a house may result in the group’s loss of housing privileges.

Residents of Greek houses are financially obligated for lost or destroyed property and damages resulting from negligence or misconduct of any resident, or guest of the house. All house debt must be paid in full by the end of each academic quarter. In the event that the collective financial obligation of the fraternity or sorority is not met, the university reserves the right to bill the fraternity or sorority members, including out of house members and residents, individually for their pro rata share of the outstanding debt. Costs are determined by Residential & Dining Enterprises.

The university reserves the right to remove any fraternity or sorority from housing for failure to meet any of the preceding commitments or failure to comply with university policy.

Disability/Medical Accommodation Requests

Requests for housing accommodations due to a disability (or that of your spouse, partner, or dependent child) are reviewed for approval by the Office of Accessible Education (OAE).

All terms and conditions of this Residence Agreement (including financial obligations) apply unless specifically stated to the contrary in your accommodation plan from the OAE. Students must adhere to all applicable policies pertaining to approved disability/medical accommodations.

Golf cart

Other than for disability-related needs, student use of golf cart-type vehicles for personal transportation is prohibited on campus. If you are approved by Stanford Transportation and the Diversity and Access Office to have a golf cart, you must abide by all related university rules, including charging the cart at an authorized charging station.

Approved Personal Care Attendant

When approved by the Office of Accessible Education (OAE), a personal care attendant (PCA), providing direct care and assistance in activities in daily living, may live with a student. Each PCA’s name and student status (if applicable) must be filed with R&DE Student Housing Assignments before a key and/or access card is issued for the PCA. Non-Stanford student, live-in PCAs residing in undergraduate housing must complete a LiveScan and background check. Instructions for this will be sent to the resident requiring a PCA. OAE and R&DE Student Housing Assignments must be notified in writing if you are no longer in need of a PCA or if the name of your PCA changes. In undergraduate residences that require a meal plan, an additional meal plan may be purchased for a live-in PCA. Undergraduate students who will be living with family members as PCAs are assigned to Graduate (Family) Housing, and are affiliated with an undergraduate residence assigned by Residential Education.

Service/Support Animals

The Service and Support Animals in Stanford R&DE Student Housing policy explains the distinction between service and support animals and contains further information pertaining to the process and agreement that must be in effect to have a support animal in residence. A request for a support animal MUST be approved by the OAE, and the animal must be registered with R&DE prior to admittance to a student’s assigned residence.

  • Support animals are approved to live in specific housing assignments; each time a student moves with a support animal, the student must initiate a new housing accommodation request with OAE and follow approval steps outlined by R&DE Student Housing. Support animals authorized by the OAE may not be placed in all university residences; generally, support animals are best suited to apartment-style housing. Individuals with OAE-approved support animals are subject to the behavioral, control, sanitary, and health-related restrictions and conditions set forth in the "Service and Support Animals in Stanford R&DE Student Housing" policy booklet. This includes a requirement that the animal not violate reasonable expectations with regard to peace and quiet. Unlike service animals, support animals are not authorized for general use throughout campus. OAE-approved support animals are only permitted in a student’s assigned housing and nearby areas appropriate for the animal’s natural relief. When traveling to and from an owner’s assigned living space, support animals should be in an animal carrier or controlled by a leash or harness. Support animals should never be in family courtyards.
  • While service animals do not require prior approval, for safety reasons, all students with service animals are strongly encouraged to voluntarily register the usual location and identity of their service animals with R&DE Student Housing.
  • Except for a medical emergency, neither service animals nor support animals may be left overnight unattended in campus housing. If the owner leaves campus overnight, the animal should accompany the owner. Owners may not give access or keys to people coming to care for the animals while they are not present.
  • In addition, within housing and common areas, service and support animals may be subject to further housing assignment restrictions (i.e., entering and exiting the building in a particular way) as may be necessary to balance the needs and rights of other individuals with disabilities.
  • Students who have a service or support animal may be charged for damage and cleaning costs for instances that exceed ordinary wear and tear. These expenses may be billed at the time they occur and/or when the owner moves out of their Stanford Housing assignment.
  • Owners of service and support animals will be responsible for the actions of the animal, including bodily injury and property damage. All animal owners are expected to comply with the local leash laws. A service animal must be under the control of its handler. Under the ADA, service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered, unless the individual’s disability prevents using these devices or these devices interfere with the service animal’s safe, effective performance of tasks. In that case, the individual must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls (See ADA Requirements: Service Animals).
  • Stanford may require any student to promptly remove from campus any service or support animal that does not abide by the above requirements and expectations. In such an event, the student, but not the animal, will remain welcome on campus and Stanford will engage the student to determine whether the student can identify an alternative form of accommodation. Stanford may also report to the city and county animal control authorities any animal that it reasonably believes is not being maintained in compliance with animal health and safety provisions or any instance where Stanford believes that an animal is being abused by its handler.
  • By applying to the OAE for an accommodation to have an approved support animal, you acknowledge receipt of the “Service and Support Animals in Stanford R&DE Student Housing” policy booklet found at: /studenthousing/service-animals-and-support-animals-stanford-rde-student-housing. For other housing-related accommodations not addressed above, please notify the OAE in advance (and as early as possible) of your request, and the OAE will then consider the requested accommodation in an interactive communication process with you. 
  • Support animals are not allowed in all housing locations, including animal-free/restricted buildings, common rooms, and student dining locations. If a student is approved for a support animal after being placed in an assignment where their support animal is not permitted, including in an animal-free/restricted building, they will be required to move to another building.

Air Conditioners

If a student is approved by the OAE to have an air conditioner in order to treat or manage a medical condition and if the student is assigned to a residence that does not have air conditioning, R&DE will provide and install an air conditioner unit, in accordance with our standards, in the student’s room. In some cases, housing reassignment may be necessary before an air conditioner can be installed. Questions about an installed air conditioner should be referred to the student’s Housing Service Center. 

Students who have been approved to bring their own air conditioners in the past may retain those units until they leave housing. They are responsible for all maintenance and upkeep of those air conditioner units.

Requesting Disability/Medical Accommodation While Living in Housing

If you live on campus and have a newly-diagnosed condition or a change in an existing condition, you may request an accommodation including reassignment to another type of room or residence. Reassignments are made on a space-available basis and only for the student whose disability needs change— not for a group. Contact the OAE to make a reassignment request.

By filing an OAE request for reassignment, you are indicating that:

  1. It is medically necessary for you to be reassigned;
  2. You are willing to live in any residence that is determined to meet the disability/medical need

If your request for reassignment is approved, you will be reassigned when a space meeting your accommodation needs becomes available.



Living in Housing Policies and Procedures

Balconies, Decks, Patios, Stairwells and Common Areas

All balconies and patios must be kept clean, neat and aesthetically pleasing at all times, and may not be used for storage or drying of items such as towels, clothing, etc. University furniture provided for indoor use is not permitted to be used outdoors. Nails, screws and adhesives may not be used to affix items to balconies, decks, or patios. Any resident purchasing furniture for use on patios or balconies must ensure that it is specifically designed for outdoor use and approved by their Housing Building Manager. Student room furniture is not permitted to be moved to and/or stored in common areas, corridors, or stairwells.

Plants can be grown in containers on patios and balconies in Graduate Housing. No in-ground plantings are allowed anywhere in graduate housing except in designated community gardens. In undergraduate housing, any in-ground plantings/gardens must first be approved by the Housing Building Manager. Bedroom furniture must remain in the assigned room unless removal is approved by the building management staff. Canopies, awnings, curtains or screens of any kind are not permitted on balconies in Graduate Housing. Exception: In Graduate Housing, approved canopies and umbrellas may be installed on first-floor patios of some low-rise apartment buildings with the prior written approval from the building management staff. Canopies, awnings, tarps and umbrellas are not permitted on balconies, decks, or patios in undergraduate housing. You may not repair, replace, remove, or in any way modify any university-owned property or cause or permit any repairs to be performed by others. This includes altering or adding any item (e.g. temporary walls, stages, platforms, awnings, structures) on the exterior of the building.

Portable Outdoor Heaters

Use of portable liquid propane gas (LPG) outdoor heaters is prohibited on balconies and roof decks. Use is permitted on exterior ground level decks and patios. LPG heaters in use must be located at least 3 feet from building openings. LPG heaters must have a horizontal and vertical clearance of at least 5 feet from combustible items. No smoking is permitted within 5 feet of any LPG heater. LPG heaters may not be located within 5 feet of exits.

Events on Balconies or Decks

Due to safety and liability issues, student events are not permitted on balconies and/or decks above occupied areas without written approval of the building management staff. This is not meant to preclude residents from enjoying the outdoor spaces attached to their rooms, apartments or houses, but to ensure the safety of those individuals as well as anyone below. Please limit the number of people in/on such a space and exercise caution with any alcohol use.

Interior banners, fliers, posters

Advertising and publicity materials (i.e., fliers, posters, banners, or other materials) can be posted only on designated residential bulletin boards and only by members of the Stanford campus community. All fliers/posters must clearly identify the name of the individual or organization responsible for the content. They are limited to one per bulletin board and must be no larger than 11” x 17”. 

The individual who posted the materials is responsible for removing any fliers/posters/banners after the event or opportunity being advertised. No one is permitted to cover or remove another’s flier, poster, banner, or materials. 

Individual resident doors are the purview of the resident(s) of that room or apartment.

Exterior banners, flags, and other objects

With the exception of banners that have been approved consistent with a residential theme, exterior banners, flags or other objects may not be placed on, or hang on or over the exterior of any building, outside of any window, or on or over any balcony railing. Even when a theme banner has been approved, they must not block egress from windows, doorways, or walkways.

Bicycles, Drones, and Vehicles


To comply with safety codes and as a courtesy to other residents and community members, bikes must not be left in any interior common areas such as hallways, stairwells, and entryways or in exterior breezeways and walkways. Bikes should be locked only to bike racks. If bikes are locked to any object other than a bike rack, or if they are blocking wheelchair access, or if abandoned, the locks are subject to being cut and the bikes impounded by the Department of Public Safety. Bicycles left in building common areas, e.g. hallways, lounges, or stairwells, may be removed. Residents who are away from campus over the summer are responsible for properly storing their bikes off-site. See for complete information on bicycle use at Stanford.

Operation of Unmanned Flying Vehicles

Third parties are prohibited from flying Unmanned Flying Vehicles (UFVs), including but not limited to model aircraft, drones, unmanned aircraft systems, rockets, and weather balloons within or above university lands. Current faculty, students, staff, or other persons acting on behalf of the university may fly UFVs only with advance approval by the university’s UFV Committee. For more information or to request permission:

Vehicle Operation and Parking

Motor vehicles may be kept, operated, and parked on the Stanford campus in accordance with the rules and regulations established by Stanford University and the California Vehicle Code. You must purchase a parking permit from Stanford Transportation to park your car, motorcycle, or scooter. Personal electric vehicle charging should only be completed at designated campus charging stations. See for specific information. No mechanical or other maintenance work is allowed on boats, cars, motorcycles or other vehicles in residential living areas, in designated parking areas, or in adjacent street areas. Storage of gasoline or other fuels within 100 feet of university residences is prohibited.

Motorcycles and scooters may be driven only where automobiles are driven and parked only in automobile or motorcycle parking areas. They are not to be parked in or near bike racks. They are also prohibited within 100 feet of or inside any university residence. Any vehicles found inside a building or compromising safety or egress near a building will be impounded and all costs billed to the owner.

Battery Operated Devices

Devices with large batteries, such as electric bicycles, hoverboards, scooters, etc., are prohibited inside any university residence due to the possibility of fires associated with overheating while charging.

Car Washing

Equipment and vehicle washing is not permitted on campus.


Blackboard chalking on the ground by Stanford community members is permitted around residences with the permission of the building management staff. Blackboard chalking is not permitted on interior or exterior walls of residences or fixtures. Spray chalking is strictly prohibited and will incur a cleaning fee. For information regarding campus restrictions on blackboard chalking and spray chalking in academic areas and White Plaza, contact the Office of Student Engagement.

Child-care Policy

Residents who care for more than one family’s children besides their own are required by the State of California to become licensed child-care providers. The Stanford WorkLife Office provides assistance in the licensing process and also assists parents in finding childcare for their children. Nannies, au pairs, and relatives who are not spouses/partners or parents/guardians are not considered part of the family contract. As such, if nannies, au pairs, or family members are found living in R&DE Student Housing there will be an administrative fee for unauthorized occupancy at a rate of $225 per day levied against the resident holding the housing contract.

Cleaning and Moving Out


You are responsible for cleaning your room, which includes separating your personal trash from recyclable materials and depositing those items in the appropriate landfill and recycling bins provided in waste enclosures outside your residence. It is recommended that students with personal kitchens also separately collect compostable materials. Year round, there are Recycle for Change stations available near all residences for the donation of shoes, clothes and small household items. During the summer, collection is available for larger furniture items and bikes through R&DE’s Give & Go Program.

Additionally, you are responsible for keeping your room in good order and condition throughout your residency in order to comply with health and safety codes and to minimize deterioration of the facility. If you live in an apartment or suite, you are jointly responsible with your roommate(s), spouse, and/or family for cleaning common areas of your apartment or suite as well as your bedroom(s).

Moving Out

When you move out, your room must be neat and clean, and all trash and recycling removed to the exterior dumpster and recycling area. All appliances and university provided furniture must be in place and properly assembled. Doors and windows must be locked. You will be billed for any needed cleaning, for moving or proper reassembly of furniture, and for the removal and disposal of any personal items you abandon or that are in violation of the Residence Agreement. All occupants are jointly responsible for cleaning the common areas of your room/apartment (even if you remain in occupancy after a roommate moves out) and will share the cost of any cleaning needed in common areas. You need to turn your key(s) in to your Housing Service Center when you move out. If you move out before the end of your contract period, you must file a termination of occupancy form in Axess, which does not necessarily relieve you from your financial obligations.

Vacant beds/bedrooms are reserved for new incoming residents with a housing contract. New, incoming residents may arrive at any time. Residents who occupy or store items in vacant bedroom(s) or bed-space(s) will be liable for an unauthorized occupancy administrative fee of $450 upon discovery and $225 each day thereafter until the liable resident confirms that the space has been vacated and it has been verified by Student Housing staff. Please note that a vacant bed space includes the bed, dresser, desk, bookshelf, and any other furniture designated for the arriving student.

Construction and Renovation

Construction, renovation, and repair projects (both on and off campus) will necessarily cause increased noise around directly involved and nearby residences. While all possible measures are taken to minimize the impact of these projects, any student moving into or living in affected areas should be prepared to accept the unavoidable aspects of life in a neighborhood under construction and post-construction. Some students may be required to move permanently or temporarily to different rooms/buildings while work is underway. Students who need to move because their room is scheduled to be renovated or demolished will remain under contract and will not be released from contract unless they are otherwise eligible for release. Information on major university projects under design and construction is located on the Capital Planning and Management website at These web pages are updated periodically. Other projects not listed on these web pages may also be undertaken. By signing the Residence Agreement, you acknowledge that you have been advised of scheduled projects, that you understand that other projects may arise, and you accept your housing assignment accordingly.

Controlled Substances and Alcohol

It is the policy of Stanford University to maintain a drug-free campus. The unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensation, possession, and/or use of controlled substances or the unlawful possession, use, or distribution of alcohol is prohibited on the Stanford campus, or as part of any of the university’s activities. The campus is presumed to include all Stanford premises where activities of the university are conducted. Violation of this policy may result in disciplinary sanctions up to and including expulsion. Violations may also be referred to the appropriate authorities for prosecution.

Smoke-free Environment

Stanford University is a non-smoking campus. It is the policy of Stanford University that all smoking, including but not limited to tobacco products and the use of electronic smoking devices (e.g, vaping), is prohibited in enclosed buildings and facilities and during indoor or outdoor events on the campus.

In university residences, this includes all interior common areas, individual rooms and apartments, covered walkways, stairwells, balconies, outdoor areas where smoke may drift into buildings, and during organized indoor and outdoor events. Violations of this policy will be forwarded to the Resident Director or GLO Dean and may result in loss of university housing privileges. Smoking is permitted in outdoor areas except during organized events. Outdoor smoking areas must be at least 30 feet away from doorways, open windows, covered walkways and ventilation systems to prevent smoke from entering enclosed buildings and facilities. Dispose of used smoking products in designated locations, such as urns, not on hardscape or in landscaping.

Damage, Loss, and Renter's Insurance

Room Condition Form

Each resident is responsible for completing a room condition form and submitting it online by the specified deadline communicated by your housing building staff. This form gives you the opportunity to declare the condition of your room and contents upon moving in and reduces the possibility of you being charged for a pre-existing condition. If you fail to complete and submit this form, it will be assumed that all furniture has been provided and that your room and furniture are in good condition and free of damages. Visit the R&DE Student Housing website for access to the forms and for further information. /studenthousing/roomapartment-condition-forms.

Renter’s Insurance

The university does not carry insurance covering personal property and is not liable for and does not assume any responsibility for theft, destruction, malfunction, failure, or loss of money, valuables or other personal property belonging to, or in the custody of, the resident from any cause whatsoever, whether such loss occurs in the resident’s room/apartment, storage area or public areas. Therefore, it is advisable that you obtain your own renter’s insurance to cover your personal property in the event of damage or loss.

Your Responsibilities for Damage, Loss, and Found Property

You are responsible for (1) any damage to or loss of university property in your room/apartment, including damage created through negligence (e.g., leaving a window open); (2) your own, your family members’, and your guests’ negligence or misconduct that results in bodily injury or damage to or loss of property owned by yourself, Stanford University, or others anywhere within or around your residence building; and (3) found university property that has been removed from its designated location and placed in your room/apartment/house. Responsibility includes any applicable administrative fees, any replacement or repair costs, and any other associated costs.

When damage, loss, or found property is within a room and responsibility cannot be attributed to a specific person, all residents of the room are held jointly and severally liable. When damage, loss, or found property is within an indoor or outdoor common area of a residence and responsibility cannot be attributed to a specific person, the residence is billed and all residents are held jointly and severally liable. Removal of university property is reported to the police. Violations of this policy may also result in loss of university housing privileges and may result in university disciplinary action under the Fundamental Standard.

Damage Bill

You have 7 business days from delivery of the Intent to Bill (ITB) before we proceed with processing. If we don’t hear from you we will split the charges evenly between you and your roommate(s), if applicable. If you are the sole resident of the unit, you will be billed immediately upon receiving the Intent to Bill. You have 120 days after receipt of an intent to bill communication in which to request review of damage charges. After 120 days, damage bills will no longer be considered for such a review. Your Stanford email account will be used to communicate with you about these charges, and all charges will appear on your Axess account.

Restorative Maintenance and Cleaning Charges

In cases where restorative maintenance and or cleaning is required by the university or requested by the student or community/house, due to egregious student conduct or misuse, the responsible student(s), community or house is responsible for the costs associated with the replacement/repair of university property. Hourly rates (including after-hours/overtime when warranted) of technical, custodial and other trade staff, will be factored into this charge as appropriate.

Entrepreneurial Enterprises

Student residences and common spaces are not intended to serve as centers for private enterprise or personal profit in any form. No business may operate out of or use as its base of support any room or residence, including room sharing or renting your room to others. Server farms or other electronic equipment used for running a private enterprise or business are not allowed. In specified undergraduate residences, students may be allowed to manage their own kitchens for the residents of that house or for Stanford student eating associates. In addition, official Stanford theme houses, with the prior approval of Residential Education, may operate theme-related food services to which Stanford community members may be invited.


University-provided interior furniture (e.g., common area and student room furniture) may not be moved outside, including to patios or balconies, for any reason. Student room furniture is not permitted to be moved to and/or stored in common areas, corridors, or stairwells. Bedroom furniture must remain in the assigned room unless removal is approved by the building management staff. Requests to remove furniture from apartments will not be granted unless approved as an accommodation by the Office of Accessible Education (OAE). At check-out, university furniture must be assembled and in the same place within the room as it was at check-in.

Common Room Furniture

Common room furniture is to remain in the common spaces and may not be removed for any reason. Violations of this policy will result in charges for any damages to the furniture and/or building, including replacement costs and/or labor costs associated with moving the furniture back to its original location. Common spaces in residences and/or apartments are not intended to be used as storage or holding spaces for items or belongings.

Furniture that has been rearranged for an event must be returned to its original location immediately after the event. In addition, student room furniture that has been rearranged must be returned to its original location prior to move out. Because of fire and life safety codes, personal belongings, student room furniture, and common room furniture may not be relocated to hallways or stairwells, or restrict exit pathways.


Extra beds are not provided for children under two years of age. You must provide a crib for children under two.

Lofting or bunking beds is not permitted in graduate housing residences except in locations where two students share one bedroom. Lofting or bunking beds is only permitted in designated undergraduate buildings in R&DE Student Housing using only university-supplied lofted beds. (For more information, contact your building management staff or Housing Service Center.) Limited lofting supplies are made available in designated undergraduate buildings on a first-come, first-served basis; look for posted check-out hours and locations or contact your Housing Service Center. If you bunk or loft your bed (in buildings that currently provide for this bed configuration), two guardrails are required on upper bunks and lofted beds even if you do not plan to sleep on the loft. Tool free beds require one support rail and two guardrails when lofted; all others require two support rails and two guardrails when lofted. If you have your bed raised above a 36” height (bunked/lofted), you are responsible for following all guidelines and policies associated with this type of bed configuration. These requirements may not be waived or altered by house staff, including RAs. No authority to make changes or alter policies regarding lofting set forth in this Residence Agreement has been granted to house staff and/or RAs. Additional information is available on Some rooms have forced bunked or lofted bed configurations due to the layout of the room. If you do not want a lofted bed, contact R&DE.

Guest Policy

Students who live in Student Housing (on or off campus) may have temporary visitors, including overnight guests, in their room as long as the guest occupies only the student's room for the duration of the visit and the student has the agreement of their roommate(s) (if any). Guests must be accompanied in the residence and may not be provided with a key or access card. The Housing Service Center will not issue lockout keys or building access cards nor grant room/apartment access to guests that are not accompanied by the resident/contract holder. Visitors/Guests must comply with all university policies and all terms and conditions of this agreement, including respecting the rights of others at all times. Guests may only stay for a maximum of five nights total per quarter. Guests who stay for three or more consecutive days or five days total per quarter must register with their local Housing Service Center. One guest per resident is permitted with no more than two guests per room. Unless approved, any guest who stays longer than these periods is deemed an unauthorized occupant, and the student will be subject to unauthorized occupancy charges which are $225/day. The student is  responsible for guests and their compliance with this guest policy. In the event this policy is abused, the university reserves the right to deny guest privileges to individual or all students in your residence or to terminate a student's contract at its discretion. Student organizations who wish to host overnight guests must receive prior approval from the Office of Student Engagement and house leadership and follow all of the terms as explained on the Office of Student Engagement website.

R&DE reserves the right to limit or prohibit guests in residences at any time.

House Storage Space

Storage in Undergraduate Housing

House storage spaces are limited and not available in all residences. House storage is not intended to be used as a storage space for university furniture (as furniture is inventoried and must remain within the room/apartment). House storage spaces are intended for current residents only and all resident-stored items must be removed upon move out. Items left in storage spaces after move out will be considered abandoned and may be removed pursuant to applicable law. Storage of flammable liquids and solids is not permitted. All items placed in storage must reside 18” below any fire sprinklers in the storage room. Storage should not be considered secure, as all residents have access. Stanford cannot be held responsible for damage or theft of items placed in storage. Residents must adhere to all posted signs and notices. Clear paths must be available for access to electrical or mechanical boxes, and items stored must not interfere with fire-safety equipment inside the storage area. Houses may be responsible for labor costs should Student Housing staff be required to move or relocate items in a storage room.

For information on possible off-campus storage options: /studenthousing/storage-services

Storage in Graduate Housing

No storage is permitted on balconies or breezeways. Small storage containers on first floor patios attached to Escondido Village lowrise buildings may be permitted with prior written approval by the building management staff. If approved, storage container dimensions cannot extend above/beyond the patio fence and cannot block egress from any apartment window. Limited storage is available in some parts of Graduate Housing. Contact your building management staff for more information.

Inspections and University Access to Residences

The university reserves the right to enter your room or apartment at any reasonable time for the purpose of inspecting the room or apartment, ascertaining whether the requirements of the Residence Agreement are being complied with, for maintenance or repairs, or for any other reasonable purpose. Inspections and repairs may be conducted while residents are absent. In the event of an emergency, entry can occur at any time. By entering into this agreement, you give Stanford permission to dispose of any items that you bring to campus that are in violation of this Agreement, such as alcohol, drugs, or weapons. 

Prior to and after the move-out of residents (including you, your roommate(s), and/or previous occupants of the room), the university will conduct inspection, cleaning, and repair work in the room (including common areas in apartments and suites). You may request a pre-inspection of your room prior to move-out so you have the opportunity to address any concerns. However, because of the volume of student move-outs, it is impractical to schedule individual appointments for all students, and inspections and work may be carried out over several weeks. If you are absent from your room when inspection or work takes place, the university will leave notification of entry.

Installing Personal Appliances

Air conditioners are permitted in apartments or rooms only if approved as a medical accommodation by the Office of Accessible Education, and must comply with specifications provided by the building management staff. Air conditioners will be removed (at a cost to the resident for labor and materials) if installed without authorization. Portable dishwashers may be used in apartment kitchens in graduate housing. Students in Escondido Village with washer/dryer hookups in their apartments may install Energy Star rated appliances after obtaining permission from their building management staff.

Noise Policy

Noise in or around a residence that infringes on the rights of other residents or members of the university community is a violation of this Agreement. Residents and their guests must also adhere to county noise regulations. In particular, residents are reminded to curtail noisy activity 11:00 p.m. - 8:00 a.m. on weeknights (Sunday through Thursday) and by 1:00 a.m. - 8:00 a.m. on weekends (Friday and Saturday). Residents must also adhere to university policies for event planning.

Pets and Animals

Pets or live animals of any kind, including those housed in aquariums or terrariums, are prohibited in all university residences, (including off-campus apartments), unless they are a service animal or a support animal approved by the Office of Accessible Education. If you are found to have a pet or live animal in residence, you will be charged an administrative fee of $100/day from the date it is discovered until it is permanently removed from your residence. You will also be charged a mandatory cleaning fee due to the extra cleaning needed to bring the room or apartment back to a standard for a student who may have an animal allergy. Students will be charged for any damages created by the animal, according to our damage policy. Persistent or recurrent violation of this policy will cause you to lose your housing privileges. Students with religious needs that involve animals are encouraged to contact the Office for Religious & Spiritual Life for assistance.

Recreational Equipment

The use of any recreational equipment is prohibited within or around the residences, except in areas designed explicitly for its use (e.g., basketball and volleyball courts). Inline skates and roller skates must not be worn or used in any residence and may not be used on any surface not designed for pedestrian, bike or auto traffic. Skateboards are banned by ordinance from all regions of R&DE Student Housing except for paved exterior pathways within Escondido Village.

Repairs or Modifications to the Interior and Exterior of Buildings

You are responsible for promptly reporting any needed repairs within your room by filing a Fix-it form online (, calling the after-hours maintenance hotline (650-725-1602) or, during the work day, by contacting your Housing Service Center. In university-owned houses, all repairs are performed by Stanford University employees or contractors hired by Stanford.

Please be advised that by submitting a “Fix-it” request, you are giving R&DE Student Housing staff and their contractors permission to enter your room to perform the requested repair work.

You may not change any lock or place any additional locks on any door of your room or any other doors within your residence. You may not repair, replace, remove, or in any way modify any university-owned property or cause or permit any repairs to be performed by others. This includes altering or adding any item (e.g., temporary walls, lofts, awning, lights, shower heads, structures, lockboxes, kiddie lock boxes, etc.) on the interior or exterior of the room/building that would impact the standards set for the aesthetics, safety, or security of residents of the building.

In addition, you may not paint interior or exterior areas, including adding a new mural or altering an existing house mural. For information on canvas for house murals or repairs to existing house murals, contact your building management staff.

If it is found that you have made an unauthorized alteration to your residence, R&DE Student Housing reserves the right to immediately restore the area to its original condition.

Restricted Areas

Access to non-residential spaces (e.g., attics, mechanical rooms, equipment rooms, roofs) is restricted to authorized university personnel.


Door-to-door solicitation in residences is not permitted. Students wishing to display merchandise or to conduct informational meetings in residences must have the prior approval of the Housing Service Center, building management staff, or senior residence staff member. If you are bothered by an unauthorized solicitor, please notify the Department of Public Safety.

Title IX Policy & Procedures

Title IX is a federal law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex and gender in education programs and activities, which includes university housing. Stanford is committed to providing a campus environment that is free of sex and gender discrimination. Stanford’s Title IX Policy & Procedures, available at, cover the following Prohibited Sexual Conduct: sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, sexual assault, relationship (dating or domestic) violence and stalking. Violations of the university’s Title IX Policy can result in a range of administrative and/or disciplinary actions, including loss of housing privileges.

Utilities and Technology


Housing charges include normal water, sewer, electricity, heat, and trash disposal services. You are responsible for paying for all other services or utilities. The university shall not be liable for failure to supply utilities or for an interruption in service.

You must comply with university conservation measures and at all times exercise reasonable efforts to conserve resources. During the warmer months of the year (April through November), Stanford, at its discretion, may discontinue heat supply for the purpose of conserving energy.

Antennas and satellite dishes may not be affixed to the exterior of your building or to any fence or railing.

Vending Machines

R&DE Stanford Dining, Hospitality & Auxiliaries contracts with vending machine firms to furnish exclusive service to the entire campus. For this reason, no student groups are permitted to install vending machines of any type. The university is not responsible for money lost in vending machines.



Health, Safety, and Security Policies

Emergency Policies

Emergency Instructions

You are responsible for familiarizing yourself with the location of alarms, exits, fire alarm pull stations, fire extinguishers, emergency assembly point(s), and AED/trauma stations for your building, and all emergency procedures for your residence. Fire and earthquake safety information is posted in all residences, and earthquake emergency procedures are detailed on the R&DE Student Housing website ( and the Stanford University Department of Environmental Health & Safety site ( Information about how to report crimes and respond to a variety of emergencies is available in the Annual Safety Report, which can be found at

Live emergency updates are provided by mobile/email/web via Alert SU Mass notification services ( and the Stanford emergency website ( Updates are also available from the Emergency Information Hotline (650-725-5555), and the KZSU FM 90.1 campus run radio station.

Fire Equipment and Alarms

It is against the law and university policy to set off a false fire alarm or tamper with any fire equipment such as fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, door closers, evacuation maps, fire sprinklers, or fire sprinkler cages. Tampering includes, but is not limited to the following actions: obstructing equipment in any way, covering or hanging objects from the equipment (e.g., smoke detectors, fire sprinkler pipes, cages, or heads). If you have reason to believe that your fire equipment or alarms are missing or not operational, please contact your Housing Service Center. If contacting the Housing Service Center after hours, instructions for contacting Emergency Maintenance will be provided. Evacuation maps must remain unobstructed and visible at all times. Violators will be subject to an administrative fee of $500, university disciplinary action, and criminal penalties.

Hall, Stairs & Entrance Access

To ensure only authorized persons are living and visiting the residence halls, students should not give access to or allow unknown persons to follow them into buildings. Students should immediately report any suspicious or unauthorized persons to their Resident Assistant, Resident Fellow, and/or Public Safety.

Common areas and hallways are to remain clear at all times. Items (e.g., welcome mats, shoes, dishes, bicycles, scooters and skateboards) left in a hallway or common area may be removed immediately by university staff. Residents will be charged an administrative fee of $25 per item. Repeated violations will incur escalating charges and possible loss of housing privileges.

Removal of Student Property

In the event of a force majeure or other emergency, the university may remove students’ belongings from their rooms or other areas for cleaning, repair, storage, protection, and/or the health or safety of students or others. In such cases, the university will temporarily store and/or return the students’ belongings, pending further notice to the student. In the event of an individual student’s extended absence or failure to remove items after move out, the student will be billed for the removal and disposal of any personal items.

Reporting of Communicable Conditions

Health and Safety Protocols for Communicable Conditions

Residents in R&DE student housing are required to abide by all federal, state, local and university mandates, policies, protocols and procedures related to communicable diseases. Stanford may require residents in R&DE student housing to adhere to physical distancing requirements, wear face coverings or other protective gear, and/or take other actions deemed necessary for the health and safety of the Stanford and broader community. Failure to adhere to any such requirements may result in termination of your occupancy and/or the withdrawal of future university housing privileges

In the event a student who is living in R&DE student housing suspects they may have, or has tested positive/been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for a communicable disease or illness for which there is a declaration of a pandemic by the World Health Organization or the Center for Disease Control, or there is a State of California or local County order regarding extraordinary measures to combat it, the student must immediately notify Vaden Health Services and the university. In order to respond to communicable diseases that may threaten the safety of its students, employees or community members, Stanford may require a student to leave campus or to relocate to different housing for purposes of isolation. Any university decisions based on an individual’s disclosure of such communicable conditions will be made considering each unique instance, applicable confidentiality considerations, and relevant medical information.

Reporting of Accidents and Other Incidents

According to university policy, students are required to file with Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) in the case of an accident or incident on Stanford premises. Information on both of these forms and when to use which form is available on the EH&S website at

In case of an accident or incident that takes place within an R&DE Student Housing building, dining hall, or immediate surrounding area, please also notify your Housing Service Center or building management staff as soon as possible. They can assist you in filling out the form. If the incident occurs within a Stanford dining hall during business hours, please also notify the dining manager.

If you are involved in or witness an accident that causes severe or life-threatening injuries, you should call 911 immediately.

Residence Interior Floor Plans/Maps

Students are not permitted to distribute or share residence floor plans. Providing interior student residence wayfinding content for Google Maps or other digital maps is prohibited due to safety considerations. Please check with your Housing Service Center if you have questions regarding what information can be distributed.

Notification of Professional Staff

If there is an emergency or incident at your residence requiring ​assistance from emergency first responders, e.g., the police, fire department, or emergency medical personnel, except as prohibited by law, you grant permission for such emergency personnel to notify professional staff such as the Resident Director or Graduate Life Office Dean, in order to provide follow up care to you and to others, as appropriate.

Harassment, Violence, and Other Threats to Health & Safety

You agree to be considerate of other residents, staff, and guests in the residences, to respect the rights of others at all times, and to follow university policies, as well as federal, state, and local laws. Stanford is committed to providing a residential environment free from harassment, violence, and other threats to health and safety. This includes unlawful threats, the attempted or actual infliction of violent injury on another person, as well as any harassment defined as a knowing and willful course of conduct directed at a specific person that a reasonable person would consider as seriously alarming, seriously annoying, seriously tormenting, or seriously terrorizing the person and that serves no legitimate purpose. At the same time, a residential environment is where difference of opinion on matters of public importance (as opposed to targeted harassment directed at individuals) is expected.

Prohibited Items

Appliances and Cooking

Appliances with open heating elements, such as hot plates, toaster ovens, electric heaters, and induction cooking devices  are prohibited. An exception is made for electric space heaters provided by Student Housing. Cooking and the use of toaster ovens/toasters is only permitted in designated kitchens and kitchenettes. Large appliances (e.g., full-sized refrigerators) and cooking equipment, except microwaves, are not allowed in student rooms.

Attractive Nuisances

Items which pose an attractive nuisance, such as slacklines, trampolines, hot tubs, saunas, pools of any size; inflatables (e.g., bounce/jump houses or slides) and similar objects are not allowed within or outside the residences.

Barbecue Grills

Barbecue grills of any kind, propane cylinders, charcoal, and charcoal or starter fluids are not allowed inside residences, on balconies or decks or in stairwells of residences. California Fire Code prohibits storage of flammable or combustible materials under interior and exterior exit stairways. Under no circumstances are barbecue units, propane cylinders, charcoal, or starter fluids to be stored under or adjacent to stairways, or used on balconies, decks, or stairwells.

Candles and Torches

Candles, torches, hookahs, incense – including unburnt, decorative or religious candles and any other open flame devices – are strictly prohibited in and around the residences. Violation(s) will result in an administrative fee of $100 upon discovery and $100 per day until they are permanently removed.

Extension Cords

In general, the use of extension cords should be avoided. When a cord is used, it should only be used as intended and rated to prevent overheating and fires. No cords should be plugged into interior outlets and extended to the exteriors (e.g., through doors or windows) at any time as interior outlets are not designed to protect against exterior elements. Only use outlets on the exteriors of buildings for exterior uses. 

The “daisy chaining” of more than one extension cord and/or surge protector is prohibited at all times. This refers to connecting more than one unit together to extend the power to greater distances. This is a known fire hazard and most all extension cords and surge protectors state warning in this regard. This may also result in a citation for violation of the fire code.

Halogen Lights

Halogen lamps are prohibited in university housing. Violation(s) will result in a charge of $100 upon discovery and $100 per day until they are permanently removed.

Propane Cylinders

Propane cylinders are not allowed inside the residences or in outside areas.

3D Printers

3D Printers or similar devices that involve a machine that creates a physical object from a three-dimensional digital model, typically by laying down many thin layers of a material in succession, are prohibited in residences unless they are explicitly required by a course in which the resident is actively enrolled.  The student must follow the directions provided by the instructor/course to operate the 3D printer and only use the 3D printer for coursework. The 3D printer shall only be operated by a resident/student enrolled in a course that requires it. The resident/student will only use the model/brand of 3D printer that is prescribed by the instructor/course.

Regulated Waste

Regulated waste includes: 1) hazardous materials such as fuels, antifreeze, dry ice, nail polish removers, aerosols, paint, and cleaning chemicals 2) “universal waste” such as batteries and light bulbs, and 3) electronic waste, anything with a cord that plugs into an outlet, such as microwaves, TVs, computers screens, clocks, blenders, toasters, extension cords and mini refrigerators. It is illegal to dispose of regulated waste in the trash. Hazardous materials must not be used or stored in or around residences. If a material is deemed hazardous, it will be removed immediately by the appropriate staff. Contact Environmental Health and Safety for disposal of hazardous and universal waste. Electronic waste should be placed on the ground in residential waste enclosures. While enclosures are regularly monitored, please notify for pick up.

Unapproved Structures

The installation, construction, storage, or use of any physical structure in the residence halls that presents a potential health or safety risk is prohibited. This may include structures that utilize a specialized or high-voltage electrical setup, contain a heating source, produce or regulate moisture, require ventilation, are used to grow living organisms, are structurally unstable, or in any way impede ingress or egress of the space.


There are a number of laws which make it unlawful for most persons to carry a firearm (loaded or unloaded) on school property, including the grounds of Stanford University. Further, California Penal Code Section 626.10 makes it unlawful to possess the following weapons or dangerous items on the Stanford campus: dirk, dagger, ice pick, or knife having a fixed blade longer than 2 1/2 inches (except for lawful use in food preparation or consumption). It is also unlawful, without the written permission of the university president or his or her designee, which includes the Director of Public Safety, to bring or possess a less lethal weapon, as defined in California Penal Code Section 16780, or a stun gun, as defined in Section 17230. In addition, Section 16590 of the California Penal Code prohibits the following weapons on a campus: undetectable firearm, cane gun, wallet gun, zip gun, belt buckle knife, blackjack, billy, shuriken, metal knuckles, sandbag, sandclub, sap, and slungshot.

In addition to California laws, the university prohibits the possession or storage of any type of firearm, ammunition, explosive material, and any of the prohibited items noted in the preceding paragraph in university student housing, as defined below. Further, using an item with a lawful purpose (e.g., scissors, baseball bat) in a manner which could or does result in an act of violence or a threat of violence against another person is prohibited.

For purposes of this policy, the term “university student housing” includes facilities that are owned or operated or subsidized by Stanford University where students reside, including residences on the main Stanford University campus located in unincorporated Santa Clara County, other locations in California, the U.S. and internationally. This policy applies to the faculty and staff residences that are located in university student housing (such as a Residence Fellow cottage or apartment). University student housing does not include residences that are privately owned or leased by faculty or staff that are located in the Stanford faculty residential areas on the main Stanford campus.

Weapons may be removed by appropriate staff.

Requests for an exemption from this policy for academic purposes may be requested in writing to the Director of the Stanford University Department of Public Safety. Each request will be considered on a case-by-case basis and be evaluated by the Office of Risk Management and the Department of Public Safety. A written letter will be provided by the Director of the Department of Public Safety in the event an exemption is granted. The Stanford University Department of Public Safety does not provide facilities for the storage of firearms.