Skip to main content
Living in Sublicensed Housing

Living in Sublicensed Housing

Housing Service Centers

The Housing Service Centers are your one-stop help desk for housing communications, campus information, and assistance with lockouts and other inquiries regarding your space.


Internet Access

University IT’s site is a resource for logging into the campus-wide wireless network. They can help to troubleshoot any network issues, as well.


Visitor Information

Welcome to the Farm! Look for information here about upcoming events, or take a virtual tour of campus.



Sublicensees with cars may purchase a Stanford residential parking permit through Stanford Transportation


Lock-out assistance can be provided only to those who have a signed and approved sublicense agreement on file with Housing Assignments.

It is the license holder's responsibility to make arrangements to provide the sublicensee with keys for the room or apartment. Keys may not be duplicated and the Housing Service Centers will not issue extra keys to Sublicensees.

If you are locked out during normal business hours, please contact the Housing Service Center staff for your residence. After hours, you may call (650) 725-1602 for lockout assistance. A member of the R&DE Community Access Response Enterprise (CARE) team will respond and assist you. You will only be given access to the apartment if you are in an authorized sublicense agreement. Your sublicense agreement may be required as proof for access into the unit. It is recommended that you keep a copy available with you at all times. The administrative fee for lockout assistance provided via the CARE team is $45 per incident, and you will need to present a Stanford ID or government-issued ID.

The $45 fee will be charged to the student license holder on his or her university bill.  You will need to reimburse the student.

Please note: Keys may not be duplicated, and a non-university locksmith may not alter or repair a lock. Sublicensees found violating this policy will be charged an administrative fee to re-key the apartment and have the incident referred to the Graduate Life Office Dean. You are responsible for the keys issued to you. Lost keys must be reported immediately.

Maintenance & Repairs

As a sublicensee, you are responsible for promptly reporting any needed repairs within your room/apartment by;

  1. Filing a “Fix-it” form online if you have a SUNet ID (
  2. Calling the after-hours maintenance hotline (650-725-1602)
  3. Contacting the Housing Service Center for your residence

In University housing, all repairs are performed by Stanford University employees or contractors hired by Stanford.  You may not repair, replace, remove, or in any way modify any University-owned property or cause or permit any repairs to be performed by others.

Please be advised that by submitting a “Fix-it” request, you are giving Student Housing staff and their contractors permission to enter your room/apartment to perform the requested repair work.

Maintenance Emergencies

For a flooded room, overflowing toilet, broken faucet, shower head, or lock, or problem of similar urgency, call Student Housing emergency maintenance at (650) 725-1602.

Note: This number is staffed 24 hours a day for student housing emergency maintenance only. Please submit a Fix-it request for all other service needs.  If you do not have a SUNet ID, please contact the Housing Service Center for all non-emergency maintenance requests.
If you call emergency maintenance after normal business hours, a voicemail service will help us pinpoint your problem and ensure the correct response. When the University’s central dispatch office picks up, be sure to give the dispatcher your full name, phone number, apartment address, and the exact location of the problem. The Student Housing duty supervisor will arrange for the appropriate response.

Helpful Tips for Maintenance Problems can be found here.

Cleaning guidelines are available on the Student Housing website here.

Conflict Resolution

Although most sublicense arrangements are completed without any problems arising, there have been some exceptions – sublicensees refusing to pay, license holders leaving the apartment in a mess with rotting food in the fridge, conflicts between the sublicensee and the remaining roommate, etc.

The parties to the sublicense arrangement should first work together to solve the problem.  When attempts at resolution are unsuccessful or if additional help is needed, the following resources may be useful:

  • The student license holder may contact the Graduate Life Office for advice and/or assistance.

  • The ASSU Legal Counseling Office provides legal advice to Stanford students, their spouses and domestic partners. The LCO Is the first step for any student who thinks that he or she might have a legal issue, and is strictly confidential.

  • If the conflict is with regard to money in an amount less than $7,500 and resolution does not seem possible other than by legal means, the person seeking to be paid or reimbursed can take the other party to Small Claims Court.  Hearings are informal and no attorneys are involved.  However, the process can be time consuming. 

  • The Santa Clara County Small Claims court has a mediation program, to help people resolve their issues without going to court.

Stanford University and its offices, employees and agents are not a party to any sublicense agreements between license holders and sublicensees.  Stanford University has created the sublicense program policies and procedures to facilitate the sublicense process so that Stanford graduate students may renew their housing contracts as long as they are able, even if they will be away for summers or vacation quarters.  Stanford University shall not be liable for losses or damages of any kind occurring during the course of or because of any sublicense agreement.