Stanford student housing charges usually fall below local area rents and include furnishings at no additional charge. Unlike most off-campus housing, Stanford also includes basic utilities — water, heat, electricity, garbage, and sewer — in the housing rate.
Required Housing Charges and Fees
Students will be charged the following mandatory rates through Student Financial Services while living in University housing. Rates vary depending on the residence, student category, and type of housing. These rates are subject to minor rounding adjustments depending on contact start and end dates.
- Housing Charges: Single student housing rates reflect the charge per person. This fee covers the cost of providing a room or apartment in a University-assigned residence, all furniture, all utilities (except cable), and coinless/cardless laundry (except in University-assigned, off-campus apartments), and is calculated according to the various contract lengths.
- Board Plan and Rates: A board plan is required in all single undergraduate residences except for Mirrielees. The board plan is billed through Student Financial Services on a quarterly basis.
- Technology Fee: This fee is billed quarterly and includes land-line telephone and access to internet (wired and wireless residential network).
- House Dues: Each term, residences assess house dues for educational programs, social activities, and other services that aren't included in the housing charges. These dues vary between residences and are billed quarterly.
- Cable Service
- Parking Permits
- Cancellation fees and/or Termination of Contract fees - will be assessed if you miss deadlines as indicated in the Residence Agreement
- Contract Breaker fees - will be assessed if you leave housing before the end of your contract
- Board Plan - Students assigned to Mirrielees can sign up for dining plans if desired.
- Interim Housing Charges - These charges are automatically assessed for students in housing spring quarter who remain in housing for summer quarter. Interim housing between summer and autumn quarters is optional.