Undergraduate Housing Reassignment Request

After students are assigned to a particular residence, they may choose to seek a more preferred choice by applying for reassignment.

  • Reassignments are made each quarter if all students without housing have been offered a space and there are still vacancies on campus.
  • Reassignment applications are based on the individual and groups are not considered.
  • Students are only reassigned to residences listed on the reassignment application, so only preferred residences should be listed.
  • If, after the fifth week of the quarter, we are unable to accommodate all students looking for housing or if there are no vacancies left after all students are accommodated, we will not be able to offer reassignments for that quarter. 
  • All assignments and reassignments for a given quarter end on Friday of the fifth week of the quarter.
  • Reassignments are only made into unassigned spaces. Direct swaps between students are not permitted, as the housing assignment process is meant to be equitable, and not based on who you know.
  • Students can apply for a reassignment by logging into Axess, going to the Student drop-down menu and selecting Housing and Dining.  In the Housing and Dining section, there will be a menu with an option to Apply for Reassignment. Students should select this and follow the prompts.
  • After students have applied for reassignment in Axess, they must submit a Reassignment Authorization Form to Housing Assignments if the request is being made after move-in. The Reassignment Authorization form must be signed by their Residence Dean
  • Reassignment applications are considered in the order in which they are submitted. Students are able to edit their reassignment applications as often as they like without impacting their position on the reassignment list.
  • If a student changes their mind and no longer wishes to be reassigned, they should log into Axess and withdraw the reassignment application.
  • Students in housing for two consecutive quarters who are being reassigned between quarters will need to move out at the end of the quarter and move in to their new residence at the start of the following quarter so that both rooms can be cleaned.  

Change in Family or Marital Status

  • For students who are getting married or want to live with their partner or spouse on campus, they should know that married students, students with domestic partners, and students with children need to apply for Graduate Housing for Couples Without Children (couples' housing) or Students With Children (family housing). Please note that the deadline for couples and families may differ from the undergraduate housing deadline dates.
  • Undergraduates living in graduate housing who return to single undergraduate housing in a subsequent year are considered to have used their tier 1 (or tier 2 if they have already used tier 1) while in graduate housing.
  • If a student needs to join a Graduate Housing assignment round due to a change in marital or family status and is reassigned, they may not cancel their reassignment and remain in their original housing. Their former assignment will have been allocated simultaneously to another student seeking assignment.