Munger Graduate Residence

Vacation Quarter

Graduate students may file a Vacation Quarter Petition to remain in housing without enrolling for coursework for one vacation quarter. These petitions are only approved if R&DE Student Housing can accommodate all enrolled students.

Log into the R&DE Portal (Housing and Dining) in Axess and select the Forms and Petitions tab. Follow the prompts to submit your request. If your petition is approved, you may stay in University housing through a vacation quarter. If your petition is denied, you must either move out of University housing when your contract ends or, to remain in housing, enroll as a student.


To be eligible for housing during a vacation quarter, you must:

  • Currently live in University housing.
  • Have been a matriculated, enrolled student for three consecutive quarters prior to your leave.
  • Be in good academic and financial standing with the University.
  • Be on an official one-term leave from the University.
  • Enroll for the quarter following your leave.

Note: Students on medical leave may not be eligible to remain in housing during their leave.


Because a Vacation Quarter grants housing for the entire quarter—not just a portion of it—you are responsible for paying the appropriate housing charges for the entire period, even if you move out before the end of the quarter. There are no exceptions to this policy.

All terms and conditions of the Residence Agreement apply during your term of occupancy.

You may receive only one vacation quarter per year, and it may not be followed by a Post-Graduation Quarter.


If you Want to Stay

Submit a Vacation Quarter Petition by

And Plan to Enroll

Autumn Quarter 2020

Friday, July 17, 2020

Winter Quarter 2020

Winter Quarter 2021

Friday, October 23, 2020

Spring Quarter 2021

Spring Quarter 2021

Friday, February 5, 2021

Summer Quarter 2021

Summer Quarter 2021


Autumn Quarter 2021

* You don't need to file a Vacation Quarter Petition for summer term. If you live in Munger Graduate Residence academic-year apartments in Buildings 4 and Jacobson-Sorensen Hall or in the GSB Residences, simply apply for Summer Housing. If you live in any other graduate residence, your contract expires in August.