R&DE Stanford Dining is committed to providing inclusive dining programs that support the needs of Muslim students at Stanford. In addition to our halal dining program, which offers halal meal options made with certified halal chicken and beef in all dining halls year round, Stanford Dining offers accommodations so that students may continue to utilize their meal plan during Ramadan.
Please SIGN-UP HERE to participate in Stanford Dining’s Ramadan programs.
March 22 - April 21, 2023
Suhoor and Iftar meals will be available at Arrillaga Family Dining Commons and Lakeside Dining from sunset – 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and sunset – 8:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
Beginning the evening of March 22, 2023 we will offer a build-your-own Suhoor station including a rotating assortment of grab-n-go sandwiches, breakfast items, breads and pastries, fruit, snack bars, yogurts, hard-boiled eggs, trail mix, and other healthy snacks to assemble a nutritious pre-dawn meal.
Iftar specials representing Muslim cultures across the world, and inspired by input from students and staff, will be offered at Arrillaga Family Dining Commons and Lakeside Dining on Tuesdays from sunset – 9:00pm. Seating areas in these dining halls will be designated for students wanting to break their fast as a community.
Stanford Dining will offer a special Eid dinner at Arrillaga Family Dining Commons and Lakeside Dining on Saturday, April 22, 2023.
R&DE Stanford Dining Ramadan FAQ
What accommodations does R&DE Stanford Dining provide to students observing Ramadan?
R&DE Stanford Dining offers the following accommodations so that students may continue to utilize their meal plan during Ramadan:
- Build-your-own Suhoor boxes will be available at
- Arrillaga Family Dining Commons during dinner hours (sunset – 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and sunset – 8:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday)
- Lakeside Dining Commons daily (sunset – 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and sunset – 8:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday) and Late Night Kitchen @ Lakeside Sunday - Thursday, (9:30 p.m. – 2:30 a.m.)
- Tables will be available for students who wish to eat this meal as a community.
- An enhanced Iftar menu will be served on Tuesdays at Arrillaga Family Dining Commons and Lakeside Dining beginning at sunset through the end of the dinner meal period.
- The chicken and beef served in the dining hall is halal year-round, unless otherwise noted. Note: Supply chain challenges could change the product, therefore we will mark NOT HALAL if this occurs. Always double check specials offered in the dining halls or ask if unsure.
- R&DE Stanford Dining does not use alcohol in our cooking year-round.
- Fresh Plate program: If there are concerns of cross-contact with haram foods, you are welcome to request a fresh plate and a manager will plate your food separately from food items that have not yet gone onto the serving line.
- Arrillaga Family Dining Commons and Lakeside will host an Eid celebration dinner on Saturday, April 22nd, during regular dinner hours.
How do I access these accommodations?
These accommodations are available to all undergraduate students with an R&DE Stanford Dining meal plan and graduate students with a meal plan block.
- To opt-in to the Suhoor box program, you can sign up ahead of time using our online form, or you can sign in upon arrival to the dining hall.
- The enhanced Iftar menu is available to all diners using a dinner meal swipe.
Can I invite other members from the community to join at Iftar?
Students are always welcome to bring guests to the dining hall. For guests without a meal plan, the cost would be $25 per person via either a Visa or MasterCard.
I live on the Row, in a Co-Op, or Suites, can I eat in the dining halls during Ramadan?
Students living in a Row house, Co-Op or Suites should first reach out to their kitchen manager or chef to discuss accommodations that can be made for them on their current meal plan. If a student feels their needs during Ramadan cannot be sufficiently met in their residence, they should reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for further support.
Can I change my meal plan during Ramadan?
The current meal plans available to undergraduate students are 19 meals per week, 15 meals per week plus meal plan dollars or 12 meals per week plus meal plan dollars. Freshman can request a temporary change to a 12 meals per week plan during Ramadan by contacting email@example.com, other changes can be made using self-service via your Axess account. For students who are freshman please be sure to specify in your email to firstname.lastname@example.org that you are requesting a change to your meal plan because of Ramadan.
Can I apply for a meal plan exemption?
Students on an undergraduate R&DE Stanford Dining meal plan should take advantage of the accommodations offered to them to utilize their meal plan during Ramadan. Meal plan exemptions for religious reasons are considered on a case-by-case basis and are managed through the Stanford Office for Religious Life. Phone: (650) 723-1762 Email: email@example.com
What should I know before seeking a meal plan exemption?
- Meal plan exemptions are considered on a case-by-case basis for students with a demonstrated religious need that cannot be accommodated on the meal plan.
- When exempted from the meal plan, all meal plan access will end for the duration of the exemption. Meal swipes and meal plan dollars won’t be available during the exemption period.
- For questions about any potential credits on the student bill, please contact Student Financial Services directly at 866-993-7772.
Can I take food to-go from the dining halls for Iftar and Suhoor?
Effective April 11, 2022, Stanford Dining will no longer offer food for take-out in the dining halls so Iftar will be available for dine-in during dinner hours. One bag will be provided per student to build their own Suhoor to take with them for the following morning.
What Late Night options are available that accept Meal Plan Dollars?
The following Late Night dining options accept Meal Plan Dollars:
- Late Night Kitchen @Lakeside
- Sunday – Thursday | 9:30 p.m. – 2:30 a.m.
- The Axe & Palm
- Monday –- Sunday | 5:00 p.m. – 2:00 a.m.
- The Pub at EVGR
- Wednesday – Sunday | 5:00 p.m. – 12:00 a.m.
*Note that the Pub at EVGR serves alcohol on premise