Skip to main content

Early Graduation, Post Graduation Quarter | Stanford R&DE

Early Graduation, Post-Graduation Quarter

Early Graduation

Undergraduate students are on academic year contracts. Graduate students can be on either academic-year or full-year contracts. If you graduate in the middle of your housing contract, you will need to submit a Termination of Occupancy form in Axess and move out at the end of that quarter.

Post-Graduation Quarter Petitions

You may be able to remain in university housing for one additional quarter after Stanford confers your degree, as long as all enrolled students can be accommodated. (Degree conferral is distinct from the awarding of a diploma, which occurs during Commencement.) 

Undergraduate students are only eligible to apply for post-graduation quarters for spring quarter housing. Undergrads enrolled and in housing for spring who wish to stay for summer can apply for summer housing. It is important to note that Financial Aid is not available for undergraduate students on a post-graduation quarter after their degree is conferred.

Graduate students can apply for a post-graduation quarter for autumn, winter, or spring. Students in full-year graduate housing contracts who are graduating at the end of spring can stay without filing a post-graduation quarter petition.

If you want to remain in housing during autumn, winter, spring or summer quarters after graduation without enrolling in courses, file a Post-Graduation Quarter petition in Axess by logging into the Housing & Dining under the My Information section, selecting Housing & Dining Login to get to the portal, and selecting the Forms and Petitions tab by the fifth week of the preceding quarter. Axess may require you to reauthenticate when selecting the Housing & Dining Login. The results will be announced two weeks later. For summer quarter, you do not need to file a petition if you live in graduate housing and have a full-year contract. While you will remain eligible for housing, you may not continue to have access to other on-campus services like the libraries or athletic facilities.

Post-Graduation Quarter petitions from students in graduate housing have typically not been granted for autumn quarter because of the demand for housing, but we may be able to approve some requests if there is space available.

Please note that Financial Aid is not available for quarters after your degree has been conferred.


To remain in university housing as a non-enrolled student you must:

  1. Be an enrolled, matriculated Stanford student during the term preceding your request
  2. Currently live in a university residence
  3. Be in good academic and financial standing with the university
  4. Have your degree conferred by the first Thursday of the quarter in which you will not be enrolled

You are not eligible to live in university housing as a non-enrolled student if you plan to audit classes or work on an honor’s thesis, honor’s project, dissertation or outstanding incompletes before your degree can be conferred. If you are engaged in such academic work, but will not be taking classes, you may file a Permit to Attend petition (undergraduates) or a Graduation Quarter petition (graduate students) with the Registrar’s Office at a reduced fee.


  1. If your Post-Graduation Quarter petition is approved and you move out before the end of the quarter, you remain liable for the applicable housing charges for the entire term. A Post-Graduation Quarter grants a housing extension for the entire quarter, not a portion of the quarter. 
  2. All terms and conditions of the Residence Agreement apply during your occupancy. Your post-graduation quarter is for one quarter only. You must file a Termination of Occupancy form by the deadline and move off campus at the end of your term of occupancy.
  3. Approval of this petition depends on successful completion of your coursework requirements during the current academic quarter and conferral of your degree by the first Thursday of your post-graduation quarter.
  4. If this petition is approved and your degree is not conferred by the first Thursday of your post-graduation quarter, you will be required to register or immediately move out of university housing.
  5. Students in undergraduate housing are only eligible to apply for a post-graduation quarter for spring quarter. Approval is based on the student’s need to remain on campus as evaluated by the Housing Assignments office.  Housing Assignments may also consult with Residential Education and the Dean of Students Office as to prior behavioral concerns that may affect a student’s eligibility to remain in housing.

Eligibility requirements are subject to verification by Housing Assignments and are subject to change. If your registration/graduation status changes, please contact Housing Assignments as soon as possible.