Housing Rates and Billing Information
Required Housing Charges and Fees
The 2021-22 rates below are a flat rate per student for the quarter. As such, proration of housing charges when a student is not assigned for the entire quarter will vary. Students should not yet make travel plans, as move-ins will be staggered over several days the week prior to classes starting. Travel plans should not be made until a check-in date has been confirmed.
|2021-22 Housing Rates for Undergraduate Housing|
|Residences||Housing Charge||House Dues - Mixed Class||House Dues - All Frosh||Technology Fee|
|All locations except Mirrielees and co-op houses||$3,722 per quarter||$130 per quarter||$160 per quarter||$78 per quarter|
|Co-op houses (576 Alvarado, Columbae, Enchanted Broccoli Forest, Hammarskjold, Kairos, Synergy, Terra)||$3,242 per quarter||$130 per quarter||Not applicable||$78 per quarter|
|Mirrielees Apartments||$4,162 per quarter||$130 per quarter||Not applicable||$78 per quarter|
- Housing Charges are Per Quarter: the single student housing rates reflect the charge per person and are based on a flat rate per quarter which students pay for the entire length of their housing contracts, and which can be seen online in students' Axess accounts. Undergraduate housing charges are listed in the rates chart and are based on residence, student category, and type of housing. This fee covers the cost of providing a furnished room in an undergraduate residence, all utilities (except telephone, Internet, and cable), coinless/cardless laundry, and Residential Education staff assistance.
- Board Plan and Rates: a Stanford Dining board plan is required in all undergraduate residences except Mirrielees. The projected board rates for the academic year are listed on the Stanford Dining web site, and all students are billed through Student Financial Services on a quarterly basis.
- Technology Fee: this $78 fee includes a land-line telephone, telephone service, and access to Internet (wired and wireless residential network)
- House Dues: these fees cover educational and social programming and vary between residences.
Additional Housing Charges
Winter Break Housing: Students living in undergraduate housing for the autumn who will also be in undergraduate housing for the winter can request winter break housing. The charges for winter break housing would be a separate item on the student bill.
Summer Housing: Undergraduate students with spring contracts who are contracting for summer housing will have additional housing charges billed for the period of time between the end of the spring term and the beginning of the summer term, as students pay for every night in housing. The charges for the nights spent in the spring residence will be added to the spring bill and the nights spent in the summer residence will be added to the summer bill.
Unauthorized Occupancy Administrative Fees: Students who occupy a room or residence without authorization or who have an unauthorized occupant staying in their room at any time before or after their contract dates, termination of occupancy dates, during the closure period of autumn-winter academic recess, or other periods will be charged unauthorized occupancy administrative fees at $175 per day or portion of a day. It is assumed you are occupying the room until you turn in your keys and remove all of your belongings from the room. There is also a $450 fee if you are found to be participating in an unauthorized sublicense arrangement.
Optional charges include:
- Cable Service
- Parking Permits
- Early Arrival Fees - if you are given permission to arrive early
- Interim Housing Fees - between summer and autumn or spring and summer
- Late Stay Fee - if you are given permission to stay for commencement and are not graduating (Spring Quarter only)
- Cancellation Fees and/or Termination of Contract Fees - will be assessed if you miss deadlines as indicated in the Residence Agreement
- Contract Breaker Fees - will be assessed if you leave housing before the end of your contract and you are still an enrolled student at the home campus
Payment Services are available electronically through Stanford ePay, Stanford’s online billing and payment service. Bill notification is sent to the student’s primary email address (SUNetID@stanford.edu) and to any authorized payers the student has set up in Stanford ePay. Payment should be made through eCheck via Stanford ePay. If payment via ePay is not possible, the University will accept a personal or cashier’s check via mail or walk-in delivery, or a wire transfer. Payment may be mailed or dropped off at the Student Services Center, which is located at 459 Lagunita Drive, Suite 7, Stanford, CA 94305. Complete payment information and wire instructions can be found on the University Bill section of the Student Financial Services website.
Outstanding balances not paid by the due date may generate holds on your enrollment, transcripts, and degree conferral. Acceptance of payment of delinquent housing charges does not waive Stanford's right to terminate your occupancy for any other breach of the Residence Agreement. Acceptance of partial payment of delinquent housing charges does not waive Stanford's right to terminate your occupancy for failure to pay other outstanding charges.
Residents who are not matriculated and un-enrolled students (including summer visitors) must pay all room and meal plan charges in full before assuming occupancy of a room.
Fees for housing charges (except in private-title residences), technology fees, and meal plans are charged quarterly on the University Bill prepared by Student Financial Services.
- All term charges are billed quarterly and due based on the schedule set by Student Financial Services. The dates can be found here.
- All other charges are billed monthly.
- Bills are generated on the 20th of each month (or the nearest business day thereafter) and are due on the 15th of the following month.
If you are assigned housing after the beginning of the quarter, you will be billed on the next billing cycle after the charges are incurred. If you are reassigned at any time during the year, your housing charges will be adjusted effective the date you check into the new residence and you will see multiple charges on your account. The balance of the adjustment will be due (or refunded) during the next monthly billing cycle. If you are pre-approved to move into undergraduate housing earlier than your contract start date or to move out later than your contract end date, you will be charged at a premium per diem rate for the extra nights in housing.
The Student Services Center (SSC), located on the second floor of Tresidder Memorial Union, is available to answer questions regarding the University bill. Students may visit the SSC in person, call 866-993-7772, or submit a help ticket. For more information about the SSC, please visit studentservicescenter.stanford.edu.