Twain Undergrad Housing

Housing Guarantee and Eligibility for Undergraduate Housing

Eligibility for Undergraduate Housing

Stanford Student Housing offers undergraduate housing to undergraduate students who are enrolled in a degree program (matriculated students). Students must be considered enrolled by the Registrar's Office to be eligible for housing and must either be in a class cohort designated to be on campus for the quarter or specifically approved to be on campus for the quarter through the exception process. Students on a FLEX term are not eligible for winter quarter housing. For spring quarter, to be eligible for housing students on a Flex Term must be participating in an approved  full time experiential learning program. Students with housing assignments who determine that they will not be enrolled or will not be eligible for housing must file a housing termination and move out of university housing. 

Guaranteed Housing Plan for Undergraduate Students

How many years of housing am I guaranteed?

Stanford students who matriculate as frosh are guaranteed four complete or partial years of housing, including their freshman year. The four complete or partial years are commonly referred to as “guarantee years.” Transfer students receive three guarantee years (three complete or partial years of housing).

Do my four guarantee years equate to twelve quarters of housing I can take at any time?

Students use a guarantee year when living in housing for an entire academic year (autumn, winter, and spring quarters) or if they live in housing for any part of an academic year. This means that a student who lives in housing for one quarter or even for only a portion of one quarter has used one guarantee year.

Students sometimes incorrectly assume that they have a guarantee of 12 quarters which can be taken at any time and over more than 4 years. This is not true. Students have four guarantee years and any time a student lives in housing for an entire academic year or a portion of an academic year, one guarantee year is used.

Guarantee years are used when living in any on campus undergraduate residence, graduate residence, or off-campus subsidized residence. This includes Greek houses, even when living as a boarder. The following students use guarantee years in the same fashion as all other students: residence staff, house officers, students with disabilities/medical accommodations, “pulled in" roommates of staff or students with medical assignments, and pre-assigned students.

If I have a guarantee year remaining, am I guaranteed housing for any quarter I choose?

Even though a student has one or more guarantee years remaining, that student is not necessarily guaranteed housing for any particular quarter unless the student does the following:

  • Has at least one guarantee year remaining.
  • Applies for housing by the first application deadline for the 2020-21 quarter for which they were approved to live on campus.
  • If not assigned in the Autumn Housing Allocation, participates in Rolling Assignment rounds by the specified deadline.

Students who meet the above conditions are always housed by the end of the first week of the quarter in which they have applied for housing. If there is not enough space in undergraduate residences to accommodate all guaranteed students, some undergraduate students may be assigned temporarily to guest rooms or to vacancies in graduate residences.

For 2020-21, there will be some students approved to live on campus who do not have a guarantee year to use. These students will still be guaranteed an assignment if they apply by all applicable deadlines and maintain eligibility for housing. Just for 2020-21, no guarantee years will be used by students living on campus in undergraduate housing.

How will guarantee years work for the 2020-21 year?

Students in housing for the 2020-21 year will not use a guarantee year.