Fire - Police - Medical Emergency
Campus phones: 9-911
Cell and pay phones: 911
Outdoor blue tower phones
Sure Escort Service
Freshman Emergency Ride Home
Call Yellow Cab of Palo Alto, (650) 321-1234 or toll-free (888) 512-1234.
(You must be registered with the program). Provide the account number 300-350, your pick-up location, on-campus destination, and nature of the emergency. After the dispatcher verifies your information, a driver will pick you up.
Sexual Assault Support and Resources
For a flooded room, overflowing toilet, or broken faucet, shower head, or lock, call R&DE Student Housing emergency maintenance at (650) 725-1602.
Note: This number is staffed 24 hours a day for student housing emergency maintenance only. Please submit a Fix-it request for all other service needs.
If you call emergency maintenance after normal business hours, a voicemail service will help us pinpoint your problem and ensure the correct response. When the university’s central dispatch office picks up, be sure to give the dispatcher your full name, phone number, house name and address, and the exact location of the problem. The R&DE Student Housing duty supervisor will arrange for the appropriate response.
Broken Garbage Disposal
If your garbage disposal doesn’t work when you turn on the switch:
- Turn off the switch.
- Look inside to check for objects blocking the blades. Do not put your hands or any kind of metal or hard object in the garbage disposal.
- Push the reset button located at the bottom of the disposal.
- Try turning the disposal back on. (Follow directions above for proper use.)
If the disposal still doesn’t work, submit a Fix-it request.
Burnt Out Ceiling Lights
Submit a Fix-it request.
Use a standard cup plunger to break up clogs in sinks, tubs, and showers. Remove the strainer or pop-up cover from the drain. Fill the sink or tub with enough water to cover most of the plunger’s cup. Keeping the plunger tightly sealed against the drain, plunge up and down rapidly until the water level seems to drop. If plunging doesn’t break up the clog, submit a Fix-it request.
Use a ball or flange plunger; it creates a vacuum seal needed to clear a clog using the force of water.
Tip: If you think your toilet is going to overflow, turn the water off to the toilet by turning the valve on the left side of the toilet by the wall. Then contact your Housing Front Desk to send out a plumber.
- Fill the toilet bowl with enough water to cover the rubber plunger.
- Hold the plunger by the wooden handle and place the rubber cup over the toilet drain, covering the opening.
- First plunge gently to let out the air in the bell.
- Then, maintaining the seal, push down and pull up by the handle three or four times to produce suction, or until the water level seems to drop. In most cases, this should free the blockage.
- Flush the toilet to clear the line.
- If plunging doesn’t break up the clog, submit a Fix-it request.
If you are locked out, Housing Service Center staff for your building can loan you a key for your room or apartment during normal business hours.
Both graduate and undergraduate students may call (650) 725-1602 for after-hours lockout assistance from the R&DE Community Access Response Enterprise (CARE) team. You will need to present a Stanford ID or Government-issued ID to receive a key, and there will be a charge for lockout assistance provided through the CARE team. Graduate students will be provided one complimentary CARE team lockout assistance per academic year. After the first lockout, the $45 rate will be charged. For undergraduate students, there will be a $45 fee for each after-hours lockout
Lost keys/broken lock
See your R&DE Housing Service Center during normal business hours. After hours, call 725-1602. If a key has been lost, the room/apartment will be re-keyed, and you will be billed.
IT Help Desk
Forsythe Hall (725-HELP) https://stanford.service-now.com/it_services
See Dealing with Pests.